• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA-70 and Plane Bender Smooth Pipes

Bdegan

50cc
Bdegan;9769 wrote: Ok Boys and girls.

Crack open a cold one and sit down LOL :very_drunk:

I had the chance today to finally test my DA70. I did a run up on a few props with the stock mufflers.

Then I did some header length testing with the Plane Bender Smooth pipes.

Here are the basic results

Stock Muffler

Falcon 25x8 wide = 7050...

Falcon 24x10 = 6930

Falcon 24x9 = 7380 ( not sure about this reading )

Beila 24 x 8 = 7020

Most of these stock muffler numbers are better than most of the piped numbers on the other 60 cc engines myself and Tbrum have tested.

Tuned Pipe

Falcon 25x8 wide = 7530 @ 8.5 inch header

Falcon 24x9 = 7480 @ 8.5 inch header

Here is the video of the final run up with the 25 x8 wide Falcon.

Ok.....

Had the chance to play with the motor some more.

I tried a Beila 22x12 3-blade. Quite a high load prop. Using the same 8.5 inch header length as the 25x8W, the Beila 3 blade gave me 5940 rpm. Then I tried it with the stock mufflers. Turned 6000.

Going back and looking at the 25x8W results. And then the 24x9 results. It was quickly realized that different header lengths are required for different sized props. That is the case with other engine and prop combos. But I had never seen as drastic a change in header length required as with this set up.

Here is a short summary of my findings.

25x8 wide worked best at 8.5 inch header length.

24x9 turned 7380 stock muffler and 7480 at 8.5 inch header.

22x12 3-blade turned 6000 stock and 5940 at 8.5 inch

Based on the results I got. The 24x9 ( lighter load prop ) would require a shorter header. And the 22x12 3-blade ( higher load prop ) would require a longer header.

I worked my way down to 7 inches with the 24x9. Ended up at 7630 rpm. I couldn't go shorter with the header because it is all the way at the flex section . Just enough pipe past the flex to get a clamp on the coupler.

So Falcon 24x9

7380 @ stock mufflers

7480 @ 8.5 inch

7630 @ 7 inch

Beila 22x12 3-blade

6000 @ stock mufflers

5940 @ 8.5 inches

5980 @ 11 inches

6140 @ 12 inches.

I could have tried a longer header. But even at 12 inches, insallation could be problem. Longer , even worse.

Conclusion, is that these pipes on the DA70 twin have a very broad tuning range depending on the prop you want to run and what style of flying you like.

You almost need to know what prop you want to run before hand. Then tune accordingly.

Bdegan

50cc
Forgot to mention......

Since I had now cut the headers down to 6 and 5/8 inches. I tried the 25x8 wide at shorter lengths.

But the rpm's dropped off quickly.

25x8W :

7530 @ 8.5 inch

7500 @ 8 inch

7380 @ 7.5 inch

Bdegan

50cc
While Sleepy and Bart were having a nap. I got the piped DA70 into the air. I put it in a 103 inch 3DHS 330.

The plane with fuel weighed 25 and a half pounds. The little 70 did good. Handled the 35% plane pretty good.

Only weak spot was pulling out from a hover. Was a little slow. But other than that. The piped 70 flew the plane very well.

DA 70 twin on Plane Bender 35cc Smooth Pipes:

http://youtu.be/If0Vjo69R_4

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Bdegan said

While Sleepy and Bart were having a nap. I got the piped DA70 into the air. I put it in a 103 inch 3DHS 330.

The plane with fuel weighed 25 and a half pounds. The little 70 did good. Handled the 35% plane pretty good.

Only weak spot was pulling out from a hover. Was a little slow. But other than that. The piped 70 flew the plane very well.

DA 70 twin on Plane Bender 35cc Smooth Pipes:

http://youtu.be/If0Vjo69R_4

Awesome news.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Very nice, probably not a lot a room to shave weight on the plane without gutting the can tunnel lumber and making new wings I suppose?

Bdegan

50cc
Terryscustom said
Very nice, probably not a lot a room to shave weight on the plane without gutting the can tunnel lumber and making new wings I suppose?
Yeah, if i stripped all the covering off and went at the airframe with a Dremel i could remove some weight.

The wing idea is interesting.  But.... leaving the airframe as is. Actually this airframe is made up of two airframes. I took the remains of 2 crashed airframes and made 1.

There is added wood and glue in this one and not worth the effort to lighten it. I am actually in the middle of putting a DLE 120 in it.

Just going to fly this one hard until it blows apart LOL