• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

CRRC GP50R

us185damiani

New to GSN!
Just noticed on eBay that there are a number of dle55's for around 300.00 also look at the Turnigy TR-55. Basically the same as the dle and only around 250.00 delivered

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So far be it for me to tell a pal what to do...but, "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING"? Umm, ever hear of 3w? Hee hee.....just kidding Kelly. I almost bought a CRRC many moons back when I first started into gas. I had read some reviews and they were not at all promising. So I steered clear from it and went with a DLE 55. Considering all the DLE's my son and I have owned...(3) 55's, (3) 111's, a 120, a 222, they all have been nothing short of amazing. But from what I am seeing with the new "Updated" CRRC engine, certainly they had to do their part in keeping up with the completion right? It looks pretty nice on the outside. But wondering how it would compare to the EME engines? Heck if you wanna be a guinea pig, I say go for it. :way_to_go:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So far be it for me to tell a pal what to do...but, "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING"? Umm, ever hear of 3w? Hee hee.....just kidding Kelly. I almost bought a CRRC many moons back when I first started into gas. I had read some reviews and they were not at all promising. So I steered clear from it and went with a DLE 55. Considering all the DLE's my son and I have owned...(3) 55's, (3) 111's, a 120, a 222, they all have been nothing short of amazing. But from what I am seeing with the new "Updated" CRRC engine, certainly they had to do their part in keeping up with the completion right? It looks pretty nice on the outside. But wondering how it would compare to the EME engines? Heck if you wanna be a guinea pig, I say go for it. :way_to_go:

I have definitely considered just bolting on a DLE 55 but my "desire" with this Pilot Extra is to "recreate" the ever so popular "50cc" class plane of "GASMANIA". You know I luv me a DA but I have to be very "conscience" about how I go about my endeavors in the hobby now. Flying site resources, my age and health, finances and practical diligence are all huge factors now in my decision making. There was a time when only "top shelf" engines, planes, radios and servos would do but I'm not "that guy" anymore and come to think of it never really was but who wouldn't want the best of the best? My "ways and means" committee voted me down past few years lol.

I can get the CRRC to the door for 308 through AliExpress.com . DA50 to the door 585. Hmn decisions decisions. Used DA50 350 plus and by the time DA went over it say 100 more so only seeing maybe 100 in savings over buying new DA50. For the time being I am going to see if I can get the DL50 on the plane now running a bit better. I am putting a new carb and ignition on it. Compression on the engine is still decent and the upper rod is not noisy. It starts easily and top end is 7300 with a Mejzlik 22x8 carbon. Crank case appears to be leak free but I think I might put a new set of reeds and a new reed block on too. The EME 55 reed block and reeds will fit this motor (DL50) and I can get them cheap through AliExpress. This is the same direct supplier that I got the canister, shaft adaptor and prop hub from for the DL50.
But boy these DA50R engines sure are pretty......To me "Worth the Money" if you "Got the Money"
DA-50_1024x1024.jpg

The DL50 I have is tired and wont tune well in the midrange (using canister/header) so I'm in the market for a new 50cc engine. Researching I found that the CRRC GP50R can be had for about 325 to the door. Hmn...DA50R is only a hundred more but is the CRRC worth the money? I have actually thought of just ordering bearings/carb for the DL50 and attempt to mate a DA50 cylinder/piston/ring to the DL crank/crank case. But I know DA is real sneaky with their fit and tolerances so I am deciding against getting a DA50R and getting the GP50R. The only thing about the GP50R that I noticed is that it has a six bolt hub vice 4. The mounting foot print is the same as the DA/DL. What is the word on this engine? Any good?

View attachment 97601
The DL50 I have is tired and wont tune well in the midrange (using canister/header) so I'm in the market for a new 50cc engine. Researching I found that the CRRC GP50R can be had for about 325 to the door. Hmn...DA50R is only a hundred more but is the CRRC worth the money? I have actually thought of just ordering bearings/carb for the DL50 and attempt to mate a DA50 cylinder/piston/ring to the DL crank/crank case. But I know DA is real sneaky with their fit and tolerances so I am deciding against getting a DA50R and getting the GP50R. The only thing about the GP50R that I noticed is that it has a six bolt hub vice 4. The mounting foot print is the same as the DA/DL. What is the word on this engine? Any good?

View attachment 97601
My DL 50 is just breaking in on my ultimate so can't offer advice on yours in that you have a ton of time on it and they do get tired after awhile. Kinda like me. LOL! What about a DLE 61? Putting that on my pilot edge 540.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
My DL 50 is just breaking in on my ultimate so can't offer advice on yours in that you have a ton of time on it and they do get tired after awhile. Kinda like me. LOL! What about a DLE 61? Putting that on my pilot edge 540.

Mechanically the DL50 I have has seen some wear and tear on the cylinder and some bad scratching by what looks to have been a human hand trying to remove deposits and clean the cylinder wall with an abrasive or sharp object. The piston and ring are very clean and no signs of excessive blow by or carbon build up and the compression is decent. No loud clanking of the rod end. What I find unusual is when I first received the engine it had some minor crash damage to the cylinder fins, bent prop shaft adaptor nut, gouged prop drive hub and a bunch of grease packed over the top seal of the front bearing. I replaced the hub, prop shaft nut and cleaned the grease from the front bearing and found the top bearing seal in excellent condition with no signs of heat stress or seal failure. I have run the engine on the ground with great success on the canister but once I get it in the air, where I do a lot of my hovering and such, it is loosing power in the midrange and re tuning does not help. The Ignition and engine are over 9 years old and I am thinking a new ignition and even a new carb will solve my problem. I am even going to use an EME 55 reed and block set (Will fit this engine). The spark plug is a brand new NGK CM6 gapped with a #11 exacto blade.

A 60 cc engine is out of the question only because I want to recreate a true 50cc plane with the Pilot Extra 330sc (Even though it is rated as a V2 30-40cc plane). The bolt pattern on the DL 50 just fits the fire wall and the 60cc class engines foot print would need the fire wall modified a tad.

Good to hear from you :).

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So the CRRC is definitely out (did not like the 6 bolt hub anyway) and a DA50 is just going to have to wait a bit longer but I think I got it all solved with the DL50. So.......Parts count to a great running almost 10 year old DL50 (Engine was "gifted" to me).....

1. Prop Hub
2. Prop shaft adaptor nut.
3. NGK CM6 plug.
4. Walbro K20-WAT rebuild kit.
5.RcExcel A-02 6-12VDC ignition.

Less than 75 bucks to the door :).

So in a nutshell......The food chain is as follows.......

Looked at this....$_35.jpg Got that.... 0125171539-00.jpg Did that.... 0804171606-00.jpg Got this....0805171232-00.jpg Want that! DA-50_1024x1024.jpg :).

Rich G

30cc
I have an OLD CRRC Pro 45 which is what is was before they punched it out and made them 50's but it is not like this one at all. The thing is a tank that last me thru my first gas planes that are splatted all over the field but this engine keeps running. Right now have it on a Giant Big Stik which sadly is just my spring plane to get my thumbs loose and then hangs on the wall until the next spring. So for CRRC I have to say that I have not had really any issues but this is a newer version which I do not know. Maybe I am starting to become a snob but time at the field any more is precious and I and tired of engines not running right so I am starting to really migrate to the DA's. They start. They run so that makes them worth the extra coin to me. Mind you I don't think I would buy a new one if a used one is available.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I have an OLD CRRC Pro 45 which is what is was before they punched it out and made them 50's but it is not like this one at all. The thing is a tank that last me thru my first gas planes that are splatted all over the field but this engine keeps running. Right now have it on a Giant Big Stik which sadly is just my spring plane to get my thumbs loose and then hangs on the wall until the next spring. So for CRRC I have to say that I have not had really any issues but this is a newer version which I do not know. Maybe I am starting to become a snob but time at the field any more is precious and I and tired of engines not running right so I am starting to really migrate to the DA's. They start. They run so that makes them worth the extra coin to me. Mind you I don't think I would buy a new one if a used one is available.

I have seen a few used ones (DA50) offered up at auctions and classifieds. I would have jumped at a couple but they sold before I could fund the purchase. The DL50 I have is just tired and worn. I have just about the right amount now for a NIB DA50 so that's what is going to adorn the front of my Pilot Extra 330SC :).
20170813-213154.JPG