• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Crack Yak Mini!

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
The Crack Yak Mini is the most high performance 3D and Xtreme Aerobatic small EPP plane on the market! The Mini evolved out of our quest for a small super high-performance plane that could be flown literally anywhere, in any space, yet improve on the over the top performance of the original Crack Yak. Through our extensive design and testing program over the last year we have honed in on the exact wing loading, power to weight ratio and developed the new airframe tweaks needed to excel in this smaller size. The result is going to be the most fun plane that you have had!

With the original Crack Yak I wanted to make a plane that wasn't your average floaty EPP 3D plane and really put together something that would be exciting to fly, precise, and very wild and crazy when you wanted it to be. In the design process for that plane we really learned a lot about what happens to airframe tweaks and designs when you scale them down, reduce surface efficiency and increase wing loading while you do it. That "research" resulted in an airframe that maximized the effects of it's wing loading and had airframe features that functioned extremely well in an inefficient flat plate small plane world.

With the Mini we capitalized on and exaggerated those design features to make a small plane that will really perform! From the very special designed single piece motor/esc combo to the trailing edge Variable Vortex Generators every effort was made to create an extremely high performance, very small pocket rocket!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Design Aspects:

Power to weight - One of the most disappointing things I have found with really small 3D planes is a general lack of power by modern XA standards. We went to extensive efforts to make sure that the Mini combo has more power than you will ever need. The combo has a unique Motor and ESC in one piece design and running on a 2S 150-250mah pack with the 7X3.5 GWS prop will give you more power than any sane person could want! Don't worry, you can always prop it down if it has too much punch for your liking.

Precision - One of the things I always wanted to improve on the original CY was the precision feel of it. With the Mini, we added Variable Vortex Generators (VVGs) to the trailing edge of the inboard ailerons to crisp up the control feel. You will find the ailerons to be more precise and effective. You will also find that extreme aileron throws will not overload the tail feathers as much as they did on the Crack Yak Lite. Oh yeah, it will roll like a damn bullet too!

Feel - Everyone knows what the Crack Yak is all about now but what makes this one different, and truly the key feature of this plane, is really about aircraft feel. If you like the insaneness of the original Crack Yak on 3S, you will LOVE the Mini. If you like to have a plane that will do "it" if you can think "it", you will LOVE the Mini. It really is an amazing tiny little plane that will out perform most other planes, in any size, yet it feels precise and clean in the air. So, what we are saying here is, not only are you getting a tiny little Mini size plane that will fly in very tight spaces but you are also not going to give up capability or feel in exchange. I would say you will actually improve capability and feel!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Specs:

Wing span – 24†/ Length – 25â€
AUW 80 - 95g (with Landing Gear)
2000-2200kV out-runner motor (9g – 12g)
4 - 6 amp ESC
2s 180 – 250mAh battery
4 ch radio
2x 3.5g servos
1x 4.0g servo
6x3 to 7x3.5 prop
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Build Video:

[video=youtube;2FvpBVs046g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FvpBVs046g[/video]

Flight Video:

[video=youtube;8GufThqJ3Mc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GufThqJ3Mc[/video]

Pre-order here: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-24-...r-Combo-Pre-Order-24-YakMini-w-PowerCombo.htm

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Cool! I'm using a Dualsky motor/esc combo on my Tech-one depron plane and I really like it. It's cool you guys are using these!

Santi8

70cc twin V2
The crack yak was the best foamy I've ever flown.. I'll probably have to pick one of these up as well! RealFlight and the crack yak were the best two purchases I've ever made in this hobby by a long shot!

Just got mine in the mail today and started the build tonight! Twisted is awesome, 4th plane I have bought from them of various sizes. Ordered this one on Tuesday and came today. The foam in the kit is high quality and looks to be the same thickness as the CY lite. The little motor and ESC looks tougher than I thought it would be. I will let you guys know my thoughts once I finish the build. Probably won't get a chance to Madien until 1/5 as that is the next indoor fly-in in my area.

njswede

150cc
An exciting flat package just showed up...

IMG_2401.jpg

We'll be doing a build thread and review of this plane very shortly... Stay tuned!

20121222_161008.jpg20121222_161303.jpg20121222_160828.jpg20121222_161038.jpg

Finished my mini today, ended up at 77g withoutbthe battery. Planning on using 260 MaH nanos but those have not come in yet. The kit quality is good and it is a super easy build. I like the CS-40D servo, it is quick and centers well. I am not impressed with the CS-35 servos. They are chattery and do not center well. I have to re-trim the control surfaces every time I disconnect the battery. Subtrim in my DX8 ranges from 16-51 to center the rudder depending on whatever point the servo wants to center on. The elevator servo centers better but is still off from pack to pack. These servo issues all expirenced on my kitchen table so expanding EPP due to temperature not an issue in this instance.

Market is pretty limited with servos this light so not sure if there are better alternatives out there.

Little motor/Esc combo ran smooth until I took it out in the backyard and gave it a quick maiden. Too short of a maiden to tell any flight characteristics, I dumped it in the millimeter of snow we recieved yesterday and the moisture smoked the ESC. I am in a pretty aweful and disappointed mood right now due to my mistake with the motor (its not like it was super wet from being on the snow for 5 seconds). My recomendation with this motor would be to fly it inside only unless you live in the dessert. I would imagine grass dew would short out that ESC if the small exposure to moisture I expirenced did it. Guess I will pony up another 50 bucks for a motor and try again.

Uploaded some pictures of it next to my Pitts for size comparison.

20121222_181551.jpg

Here is a pic of the burn damage. You can see a white spot on the circuit above the blackened part of the motor label. That white spot is where the smoke js coming from. I dont know much about electical boards, any ideas of a potential fix or is it done?

njswede

150cc
I just checked out Cody's video. If you haven't seen it, go to the beginning of this thread and watch it! Wow! That may be one of the best 3D routines I've ever seen! Dude, you've got some impeccable rhythm and timing!