• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

CONTEST TIME!! - Custom Sanding Blocks!!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
We all like the big 3D and Aerobatic aircraft. This year, I plan to build my first giant scale project. Not going to tackle a war bird project just yet, but will start with a Hosteler Cessna 182. Learning the ropes on finishing panel lines and rivets.... going to entail a LOT of sanding.... how handy would these great sanding blocks be !!

Cessna%20182.jpg

Awesome looking sanding blocks and a really great contest!

don't forget to put an underpaid and malnourished flight instructor in the right seat wearing a pair of foggles to hide the fact that he/she is actually sleeping!

although, to be honest, very few instructors would be lucky to be found in a fresh 182 like you're going to build :(

les2097

50cc
First I would scratch my back... then I have a box of balsa...used to be a plane...I'd use them to make it a plane again...!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
if i were eligible to win i'd run downstairs and rip the covering off of the 35% Cap 232 that I bought before looking at it closely enough to see that it really needs to be recovered and to have all of the hardware replaced.....of course before it can be recovered it needs to be lovingly sanded to a glass like smoothness. does he also make shop vacs? can i win a shop vac to remove all of the dust after I'm done lovingly sanding it?

Thanks @cbarnes0061 ! we appreciate the generosity of our community to make contests like this one possible!!!!
:yesss:

Actually, I think I'll just buy a pair and bask in having a little more love to go into my planes. :love:

PC (Private Conversation, our version of a PM) sent!

HornetNZ

50cc
So I've had this Great Planes F-15 in the bones since 1998....yes, you read that right...I started it in the PREVIOUS CENTURY! Due to college and small apartments, it sat in my parents basement for way too long until I finally got a house of my own. I'm now working on finishing it up. And since I have a lot more experience now, I decided to customize it by adding lights and scale features so it's not so boxy, like the rounded joining piece between wing and jet intake, scale jet exhaust nozzles & engine humps on top and internalizing the rudder control arms (which was so easy, it should've been done that way from the kit!).
All of these customizations are requiring A LOT OF SANDING! I'm almost ready for final sanding & covering, so these sanding blocks would be just what I need to make this baby smooth as butter!
Thanks to GSN/SleepyC/CBarnes for the contest!

Attachments

• DSC_5471.JPG
    DSC_5471.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_5485.JPG
    DSC_5485.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC_5500.JPG
    DSC_5500.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 391
Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
First off Chris wonderful job making these. As a long time Wood Pattern Maker and scratch builder of planes in a previous life we just used scrap blocks that always ruined the sand paper and ruined it to early. I would LOVE to replace my crappy Great Planes sanding bar with these. Soon to be retiring so will have time for scratch building and my love furniture making.

Props

50cc
I would use them first to sand the glue off my monitor.. then I would use them to build a 1/3 scale Taylorcraft.