• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Contest for High School Students (Oklahoma)

I would like to get the word out about Speedfest and the opportunity to get High school students involved in model aviation. Oklahoma State University has been putting on a model aircraft contest called Speedfest the last 4 years. There is a division for universities and a division for high school teams. We have had a great response the past few years from the teams participating and want to expand the number of teams. The High School division is set up to be simple and set the students up to successfully fly and race their aircraft. A Tower Hobbies Uproar Kit and engine is provided to the teams at no charge. They will need to find funding for the radio gear and finishing items.

Besides the obvious participation of the high school students they of course need adult help and supervision. There will need to be an advisor from the school, often a science teacher, to head up the daily or weekly building activities. The second part is that we want every team to have an experienced modeler to act as a mentor. This is where you come in. I am sure that most of us are proud of our hobby and want to see growth amongst younger people and to spark interest in aviation in general. If you know a high school student that is interested in aviation let them know about this and have them talk to their science teacher. If any of you know a high school science teacher please let them know about this contest.

Here is a link to the Speedfest page: http://speedfest.okstate.edu/Speedfest_V/Speedfest_V_Rules_India.html

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or any one else you feel it would be of benefit for me to contact.

Thank you for your help.

Dan