• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport CARF Pitts - Engine Upgrade

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Yep, airplanes that are overly nose heavy fly bad. Planes that are overly tail heavy crash!

I love when you ask a new guy with a new plane, "Did you check the CG?" and you get that deer in the headlights look.;)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It would have only been better if you had forgot to dial some expo in. Then you could have cleaned both sides of your undies.

Like the 9ers at Levis lol

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've forgot to balance a 25% Cub last year, damn that plane would hover easily. In hindsite I should have tried to land like that as a conventional landing didn't work.

reyn3545

100cc
IMG_20151217_214105485.jpg
I got the CG done... but I may change a few things up still.

I knew the 3W with cans would be heavier. I didn't figure into the equation the extra weight of canister mounts, headers, couplers, etc.. The plane with the Moki had 45.5 pounds on the main wheels. With the 3W, that went up to 48.75... an increase of 3.25 pounds!

The only place to offset 3.25 pounds is on the tailwheel... it had 4.25 pounds on it to start with, and to balance the plane, it needed 4.75 pounds on it. To get that 1/2 pound increase, I had to add 11 ounces of lead shot in the tail tube.

By the way, if you've ever had to add tail weight, the tail tube is a great place to put it, if you have something that will go into the tube. Luckily, I still have some old shotgun shells from back in the days when it was OK to fill a duck full of lead... so I just cut the shells open for some free lead! These shells are so old (probably 30 years) that I wouldn't dare shoot them, but the shot works well for stuff like this.

Anyway, it's balanced out, soft of. I still need to add the baffling, but that will have to wait a month or so for the new cowl to show up.

I may move the battery tray back in the fuse, if I can. I remember gluing it in place, but I may be able to dremel it loose an move it. We'll see.

The good thing about this is that the plane is still under the 55 pound limit... With the extra weight in the tail, it comes in at 53.5 pounds.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Really a good looking bird. Just can't determine if the scheme is patriotic or rebel rouser. Hmn ...Lives in Atlanta.....I think the latter. Oh and by the way I thought those four red heads screamed for more pretty well:).

reyn3545

100cc
Well, technically, its supposed to be an American flag, but CARF does call it the "Stars N Bars" scheme, which is another name for the rebel flag down here south of the Mason-Dixon..... You decide!

IMG_20151217_220958946.jpg