• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Can a servo fry a RX?

I haven't been flying since I moved to Colorado 2 years ago but recently I decided to get my gear out and get some planes in the air. I had some servos I wanted to test so I charged a battery, plugged it into a brand new orange receiver, and bound it to my DX7. Took a few seconds but it looked like everything was good. Plugged a servo in, nothing. Unplugged it and plugged a Hitec servo in and the light on the RX went out. Hasn't come on since, even with a different power source. I thought maybe it was a bad RX. Got another one out just like it and the same thing happened.

Now, some disclosures. The first battery I used was a 4 cell nmhd I had just charged but it is old. I would not trust it in a plane. The second power source was a 2-cell lipo I ran through an esc to get the voltage down.

I'm not too concerned about the receivers but I would like to know what I did to make them stop working.

SnowDog

do you have any other servos to test with?

or do you have a standalone servo tester?

have the servos been used before?

are you SURE that your servos are connected to the RX correctly? the connector might be reversed?
that would explain the lack of movement in the servos...try reversing the servo connector at the RX.
it won't hurt anything if it is backward, it just won't work.
not sure why this would cause the light to go out on the RX.

I did plug in a power had servo first and it didn't move but the receiver still worked. I can't get the receivers to do anything right now.

Today I remembered I have a 72 mHz TX and RX and I also got a spectrum receiver today so hopefully I can test these servos and see what's up. Think I'm gonna tell HK about these receivers and see what they say about it. Maybe they will replace them...