• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? C Rating

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Just wanted to get some confirmation. C ratings are 5 amps per c right so 1C is 5amp 2C = 10 and just multiply up as you go right?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
No. C rating is 1x the capacity of the pack. So for a 500mah pack, 1C is 0.5 amps.

There are 1000mah in 1 amp, because a milli is 1/1000.

A pack with a 30C discharge is 30x the capacity of the pack, so for a 500mah pack, that's 15 amps. Or for a 5000mah pack, that's 150 amps.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
The C rating can also be helpful when charging as well. As an example a pack with a capacity of 4300 mAh; a 1C charge rate would be 4.3 amps, 2C charge would be 8.6 amps, 3C charge would be 12.9 amps.......etc.

PRC_Robin

SITE SPONSOR
GSN SPONSOR
You can also think of C rating in terms of time, when charging or discharging. 1C = 1 hour, 2C = 30 minutes, 3C = 20 minutes, etc.

So the next time you see a 150C rated battery, take it with a grain or two of salt. :)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The only company that I can think of that has a really truthful C rated pack is ThunderPower, though I will say my big HK 6s packs have been holding pretty true to their 30c rating. I've noticed one of them has a cell that's starting to take a dump though :banghead:

Who would have ever thought there'd be so much info to learn about a hobby we do for fun LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
You can also think of C rating in terms of time, when charging or discharging. 1C = 1 hour, 2C = 30 minutes, 3C = 20 minutes, etc.

So the next time you see a 150C rated battery, take it with a grain or two of salt. :)

:) Well put Robin!

cam4569

70cc twin V2
so as a clarifying question to an old thread. If I have a 3000mah 3s 20C, that would be rated for 6A correct? Is that the max safe draw for the battery? I assume that the battery would provide the full voltage and power for as long as it has any charge in it (think of a direct short). Would you notice a power difference to the motor running a 40C over a 20C battery pack? Also this may be a bit off topic but if I have a 6A pack (20C 3000) why will it run a 45A esc? I have a basic understanding of electricity just trying to clarify.