• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Builder wanna-be looking for equipment ideas.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I have a shop set-up for assembling, not building. In the next year or so I'd like to build my first kit. At this point, I'm thinking it'll be one from Terryscustoms. Reason being, as a first time builder, well, unless you want to count the WWRC 50cc profile, I'm thinking prudence dictates the "easiest" kit possible. From what little I know, the kits Terry markets are somewhat self-aligning and may be better for a first timer such as myself. Question,(s) What do you guys (and/or gals) who build use? Lets start from the ground up here..
What will I, and anyone else who wants to build a kit for the first time need? Tables, saws, vacuum bagging equipment and anything else I've forgotten/not thought about. Lets hear it. Ideas?

Thanks,
Phil

sweetpea

100cc
-Table saw
-scroll saw
-bandsaw
-drill press
- fostner bits
-tap and die set
- lots of #11 blades and razor blades, sanding blocks of different sizes and types of grain. I found some at tower that have padding that are nice for small areas but you need a long one for wings.
- oscillating sander drum ( I like these for making lighting holes in surfaces)
-long straight edges
-large piece of glass for cutting your covering (you wet it and it will stick down letting you cut easy)
-vacuum with soft bristle attachment
-fast squares
-incidence meters
-level (long and short ones)
-compressor
-spray gun for paint (can include an airbrush also for smaller projects)
-water/oil trap for compressor air

If you are doing foam wings then you need vacuum bag or lots of weight. I've always bought play sand from HD and then returned it when I was done or used it for the kids area if you are doing the weight method.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Depends a lot on the type of kit if you even have to be making parts at all. That takes out a lot of things like the scroll saw, spindle sander, etc.

I think the main "machines" I use for building are the following:

- Table saw.....mainly for hinge stock, so you can also use a band saw if you have a good quality one. If you do get a table saw I highly recommend one that has a machined steel top, not those stamped steel top deals that you see at the box store. When starting out I went through three box store models till I spent the money on my first "real" saw which is now 12 years old and good as new.
- Band saw, very very versatile saw so don't skimp with the El 'Cheapo model. Get one with a tilt bed, steel bed, deepest throat you can afford and a good belt drive system. No direct drive light weight junk on the band saw!!
- Disk / belt sander combo. I have a cheap one from the box store with a 10" disk and a 4" x 36" belt. Think it's powermax or something like that, maybe $40-50
- Miter saw, I use my miter saw A LOT. Cutting sticks, mitering sticks, even cutting small plywood parts. Again, get the biggest one you can afford and not a cheap one. I use a 12", but a 10" would also work. Smaller than that and you limit it's uses.
- Clamps, lots of clamps, but you can get these a little at a time and can get great buy's at places like Amazon.
- Sanding bars can be made with the tools listed above.
- A GOOD TABLE - again, you can likely build a nice heavy flat table but don't skimp it needs to be flat and sturdy. If you don't have room for a big dedicated table you can build a smaller torsion box type table that is portable and only used when you absolutely need a flat surface. You likely see in my threads I don't have a flat table at all but I do have a torsion box, and I use my table saw tops all the time for glue-ups.

Many other small and even semi-disposable tools an be acquired as you need them. The nice thing about all of the big ticket items (table saw, miter saw, etc) is that you can use them for tons of other things like home repair, other hobbies, etc.

sweetpea

100cc
thanks...I forgot about the mitre saw and the disk/belt sander. I use that disk/belt sander all the time for everything!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
-I'll throw in a plug for a down draft sanding table! Nothing worse than coating everything in your shop with sawdust, plus it's not good for you to be breathing anyhow! Build your own and save a ton of money, or get a commercial one, but you'll want dust control of some sort!
- @Terryscustom ,I thought I was the only one who used my table saw 1% for cutting and 99% as a nice flat surface for every other purpose!
-A good bandsaw, stay away from the $100 box store ones, you will quickly outgrow or wear it out. You'll also get frustrated with it's inability to cut true. The capabilities of a good one are well worth the $400+ price tag.
-A good table! You can get away without most of the other tools that are just nice to have, but you can't get away without a good build table/bench. Figure out how big you need for the planes you plan on building, then double the size.

poprlite

50cc
Bandsaw. I built for years and made every joint fit with some sort of hand tool, takes a little longer but its doable. I have purchased tools through the years by necessity and two builds ago I found that I needed for some long straight cuts. The better these cuts the easier it would make my life. Shopped around and ended up with a grizzly 14" it has a steel tilt table like a previous poster had mentioned. Best purchased made ever while building models, wish I would have done it years ago.

Second good tool is a dremel with a 90 degree drive too.

BalsaDust

I cant stress enough what Terry says if looking for a table saw. I have 2 both of which where giving to me. one has the el cheapo top and the other though still a cheap saw has a nice cast steel top that is dead flat. My only complaint with mine is the stock fence system that came with it is crap. Cant trust the markings on it and I always have to make sure when I clamp it down that it is square to the blade as it will sometimes clamp slightly out of square.
Sanding blocks I have some extras still made that I was selling or you can easily make your own. See pic attached. I sell them for $20 for a set shipped to your door.
Disc sanders are awesome.

I haven't built a WWRC profile kit but I have heard nothing but good things about them and if your interested in a smaller profile kit I can give a link to where a guy sells them at a pretty good price. he sells anything from small park flyer size up to 20cc size.

Attachments

• contest2.jpg
    contest2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 273

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Excellent information guys. Thank you for contributing. And cbarnes, thanks for the profile news, I'll keep that in mind.

BalsaDust

Yup not a problem. There are many great profiles out there. Just remember that any of them in the 40 glow size range are gonna be pretty flippy floppy. I here the EE60 (20cc size) from WWRC is pretty flippy floppy to but most of them that are 60 size or larger are pretty tame and floaty.