• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Build log: Redwing RC 76" MXS-R STOJANOVSKI SCHEME

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sounds good I hope he can help.

Wishful thinking....I was hoping I could use some of my heli packs in this plane, that way I wouldn't have to buy more!! LOL

With those two packs in parallel, you'd need to run about a 21x10 or even a 22x10 prop... And I don't think it'd be very efficient.

gyro

GSN Contributor
With those two packs in parallel, you'd need to run about a 21x10 or even a 22x10 prop... And I don't think it'd be very efficient.

Oh, and to get 2400w (which you'll definitely want on the MXSR) you'll need a bigger ESC for 6s, as 2400w / 24v is right at 100a, and that's a little to close for comfort, I usually like a tiny bit of headroom.

On 8s, you're fine since 2400w / 32v is 75a.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Hmmm...ok. 8s it is. Now I just gotta find some funds for those and probably a charger, I think my hitec x4 only goes up to 6s.

Maybe I should have went with gas on this one???? LOL

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Here's the really nice wing bags I got from Redwing RC.

Attachments

• wing bag.jpg
    wing bag.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 291

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hmmm...ok. 8s it is. Now I just gotta find some funds for those and probably a charger, I think my hitec x4 only goes up to 6s.

Maybe I should have went with gas on this one???? LOL

Might be cheaper to just buy a motor to fit your gear. I recommend the motrolfly 4330-400kv.

I've been really happy with that motor on 6s in a 25% plane.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
My input would be that you're not planning for the right prop / cell count combo. Electric props work different than gas, and you really want about pitch to equal about 1/2" diameter.

Also, your kv wind is DEFINITELY more suited to a 8 cell setup with a 19x10 or 20x8 prop.

Unfortunately, your kv wind is way too low for 6s.
[MENTION=95]Aeroplayin[/MENTION] is the smart electric power guru around, and he has a motorcalc program that could probably help you!

If it's a real 270Kv, then at 3.7 volts per cell, the 8S setup seems to be a decent match. Sometimes they just round up or down the value, so running it unrestricted (prop off) for a few seconds at WOT with a Castle log on it will give you a better Kv to deal with.

With a 21x10 prop on 8S, you'll probably do about 2300W and need 2x 4S 5000mAh batts to get 6 minutes. With 1085g for the batteries, and a 640g motor, you should have a decent setup if you can balance this plane at around 12 pounds.

You'll pull around 78A and get about 185 Watts per pound, but the 21x10 prop swinging 6250, which it should if the motor can handle the prop like Hacker and Motrolfly, should do almost 20 pounds of thrust, which is a decent 1.57-to-1 thrust to weight ratio.

This is not going to be the best setup for pulling out of a hover, but the pitch speed is a decent 60 mph.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Sorry, but I followed the 'mentioned' link from an email and though it was for the 76/83 EF MXS... so the thrust to weight, and Watts per pound, were based on the projected AUW of that plane with the motor and battery weight I mentioned. I don't know what the weight will be for this plane, but if someone has a weight of the empty airframe out of the box, I can make the adjustments if you want them.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Sorry, but I followed the 'mentioned' link from an email and though it was for the 76/83 EF MXS... so the thrust to weight, and Watts per pound, were based on the projected AUW of that plane with the motor and battery weight I mentioned. I don't know what the weight will be for this plane, but if someone has a weight of the empty airframe out of the box, I can make the adjustments if you want them.
[MENTION=95]Aeroplayin[/MENTION] So with my 6s 4000mah packs, CC ICE 100a and the motor Gyro recommended, do you think it will be an ok setup? I'll try and get an empty weight on the plane, just have to find a good scale.

I appreciate your help:D

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Sure.... the way to start is the weight of the plane, then we'll add the battery and motor weight, and figure out the power you personally can settle for. I'm not familiar with the DM4330-400Kv on 6S, but I know the Motrolfly DM4330 with other winds well. Are you saying that you have 6S 5000mAh batteries?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sure.... the way to start is the weight of the plane, then we'll add the battery and motor weight, and figure out the power you personally can settle for. I'm not familiar with the DM4330-400Kv on 6S, but I know the Motrolfly DM4330 with other winds well. Are you saying that you have 6S 5000mAh batteries?

He was talking about using two 6s4000 in parallel.

When I built the MXSR with a DLE30, it was about 11.4 lbs or so, and had heavy servos. I figure an electric setup wouldn't have less than 11lb AUW.

Btw, for reference this flight is on 6s5000, Motrofly 4330-400, 11lb AUW plane.
[video=youtube_share;PN0tss1JDD0]http://youtu.be/PN0tss1JDD0[/video]