• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Beginner Giant Scale RC Questions, Let's hear them

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
<<insert star trek (or Yoda) face palm pic here>>
tumblr_mesg0scc9Q1ragpqjo1_400.jpg

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Here is some questions for you for a person building their first giant scale...

How many rolls of covering is required for a 30% monoplane just with the base color?

I am going to run my 30% plane as high voltage. Will 1x 3500 mah 2s lipo suffice to keep the electronics happy? That would be running it through a heavy duty switch to the receiver. If I did decide to go with the redundancy of 2 batteries, what would be the most economical way to do the wiring and still be able to use a switch?

What is a good quality, economical voltage regulator to use on a 2s lipo for a DA ignition system?

What is a good quality fuel dot that doesn't break the bank?

Rudder servo in the tail with a single titanium rod, or go with a pull-pull system? (I do a mix of 3d ish and IMAC ish, lol, otherwise known as a sport pilot)

How much better is Realflight 7.5 compared to 6.5? I am in need of a new computer to run 7.5 well which I will have soon anyway.

Where do people find ethenol free gasoline anymore? I hear that is better for RC gas engines?

I am gearing up to finish my plane as quick as I can when I get home from my "deployment" :)

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Here is some questions for you for a person building their first giant scale...

How many rolls of covering is required for a 30% monoplane just with the base color?

I am going to run my 30% plane as high voltage. Will 1x 3500 mah 2s lipo suffice to keep the electronics happy? That would be running it through a heavy duty switch to the receiver. If I did decide to go with the redundancy of 2 batteries, what would be the most economical way to do the wiring and still be able to use a switch?

What is a good quality, economical voltage regulator to use on a 2s lipo for a DA ignition system?

What is a good quality fuel dot that doesn't break the bank?

Rudder servo in the tail with a single titanium rod, or go with a pull-pull system? (I do a mix of 3d ish and IMAC ish, lol, otherwise known as a sport pilot)

How much better is Realflight 7.5 compared to 6.5? I am in need of a new computer to run 7.5 well which I will have soon anyway.

Where do people find ethenol free gasoline anymore? I hear that is better for RC gas engines?

I am gearing up to finish my plane as quick as I can when I get home from my "deployment" :)

Depends on what radio you're flying. If its Spektrum then a Spektrum Power Safe Receiver is the way to go. That size I would look at battery redundancy though.

WrongwayRC sells inline voltage drops that use diodes, thats about the easiest route, the one for A123's have 1 diode, the LiPo ignition lead has 2 diodes with .7 volt drop per diode.

Seacraft from Aztech Aeromodels or GemDot on Ebay, my preference is GemDot's

Depends on your CG needs, both work well. If you go Pull/Pull then Aztech sells some cool tensioners that make installing p/p a snap.

As for the gas, pretty much any gas station near the water has it. Being in AZ that might be more difficult for you, I can get it at 3 or 4 stations between here and the field thats 10 minutes away tho :)

Realflight 7.5 is 1.0 better than 6.5.

You can buy the diodes at radio shack and solder them into an extension

You can get avgas from the airport or buy white gas for the camp stove, added benefit of no smell

N726AC

70cc twin V2
Might not want to use 'white gas', also know as Coleman Fuel. The octane rating is only 50-55.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I use a futaba 8fg super.

People use avgas in their engines? That is new to me. shat is the benefit of that since it is more expensive than normal gas?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I use a futaba 8fg super.

People use avgas in their engines? That is new to me. shat is the benefit of that since it is more expensive than normal gas?
Higher octane, no ethanol. I personally don't find it necessary. I run pump premium and where I live it all has Ethanol. Never had any issues, but I don't fly as mush as a lot of guys.
To each his own as they say.