• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Beautifying the Beast

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Looking forward to seeing how you're gonna secure the lower wings. As for the wing wiring, I used PC plugs for mine, which worked awesome. A bit of a PITA to setup but worth it in the end.
DSC06594.JPG DSC06596.JPG

Mr. Kanuk, Will your "metal" bushings press into the aluminum wheels? Are they bronze or oil lite material? I admire your modeling abilities, this is a major project :)

FIREWALL MODIFICATIONS

The Valach engine has a somewhat unique design for its carb. The carb is at the back of the engine and placed lower down. This is quite evident in the attached PDF line drawing.

Because of this I was forced to cut out the bottom of the firewall so that the engine would fit in. The mounting holes are also in a different location than the DA 100 that this plane was designed for, so I just knocked out the blind nuts, filled the old holes in and drilled out new holes. I then installed a much heavier 1/4-20 blind nut that I got from Home Depot.

This motor produces a lot of torque and I was nervous that the fire wall might flex to much. To improve the stiffness, I added some "L" shaped pine wood at the base of the firewall. and I made an aluminum bracket that bolts onto the back of the firewall where I had to make an opening for the carb to side through. This aluminum bracket is installed after the engine is in place. Once the 1/4-20 Allen heads bolts are in place, I use Lock nuts to keep the aluminum plate and bolts tight.

I then used Century 21 fabric to cover the holes in the outer edges of the cowling ring. I then fuel proofed it with paint and thin epoxy.

The rest of the pictures show how the Valach engine fits inside the cowl "JUST BARELY", but that's why I picked this plane over the Aeroworks Ultimate Biplane.

FIREWALL CUT.JPG SECONDARY SUPPORT.JPG FIREWALL FILLED IN AND FUEL PROOFED.JPG FIREWALL SUPPORTS.JPG VALACH RIGHT SIDE UP.JPG VALACH UPSIDE DOWN.JPG CLEARANCE LEFT SIDE.JPG CLEARANCE RIGHT SIDE.JPG

Attachments

• VALACH 120 LINE DRAWING.pdf
    557.9 KB · Views: 316
M

Matt

What happens if your wing or pc connector wiggles and you loose servo control? I also worry in this area that the plug in is difficult to line up.
I feel like if the wing wiggles loose you have way to many other issues and are probably about to crash... The wings on the beast fit pretty tight and with the I struts and both bottom wing tubes and 2 wing bolts it's pretty secure... But if it was to work its way loose I would think that you would be able to land no problem with the top ailerons.. The servo with no power should blow to center and you would be able to land with no issue.

M

Matt

I never had any issues with these plugs on my Beast. Once aligned they stayed that way. You do need to remove the small "crimp" on the female socket so the male slides in without resistance.

Oh boy, I'm asking for trouble there!
Well I guess instead of risking a report I'll just like that last line:fist_pump: