• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Beautifying the Beast

CABANE AND MID WING

The great feature of having all of these build threads, is that you can come across ideas that others have had success with. On this part of the build it was the way to hide the top aerilon wires that go to the receiver. I was able to find a piece of shrink tubing at the local electronics store in Barrie that fit perfectly. I then painted the struts before assembling them to the main fuselage. Per the suggestions, I used blue locktite to hold the tiny 4-40 screws in place.

I'm building this plane to enter into the Sports Scale events around here, and to add a bit more realism to the plane, I added the cross struts to the Mid wing area.

If anyone wants LOTS of pictures of Pitts S12 go to this site. http://www.2wings.com/pages/airplanes/airplanes.htm

It took me forever to cover the mid wing section, I was watching our Blue Jays and it was hard to stay concentrated as they made their great comeback!

SHRINK TUBING.JPG CABANE STRUTS.JPG MID WING.JPG SIDE VIEW.JPG FRONT VIEW.JPG CABANE CROSS STRUTS.jpg

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
And you ARE going to run those wires into the center section, then out the root ribs...correct? If not then WTFN ;););)

And you ARE going to run those wires into the center section, then out the root ribs...correct? If not then WTFN ;););)

I'm old stupid and senile, BUT not that stupid (yet). I would only do it if I could make the assembly at the field easy, but I haven't figured that out.

That's your project for the morning!:banana-dance:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Earle what did you use to make the "screws" on the fuselage side. It looks great!
Thanks! Good ole aluminum HVAC tape....used to seal duct work in ventilation systems. Has a really strong adhesive.

I sharpened the end of a 1/8" brass tube, chucked it into a drill and used that to cut a bunch of "screws". Once you get a dozen or so up the tube, just poke them out with a rod or something. I laid out the lines and spacing with tape and then hand apply with pointy tweezers.

Same aluminum tape was used to make the flush tank cap and the little latch on the engine oil check door.

Even though there are no cross points on the screws, they look the part.

Well....I'm all 3 of those things plus!!! Thought I had a pic of my wires going into the center section but not. Did find this one of the cabane bracing.
View attachment 43114

Earle after viewing our picture of your Cabane bracing, I took mine out last night and am installing a new set, one that look more scale like. Again thanks for the inspiration.

Now back to the Major Modification that I am cursing Earle for getting me started on. But al least it looks good. Hope to post later today.

MODIFIED CABANE CROSS STRUTS

After seeing the picture of Pistolera's cross struts, I tore my old ones out and went with a new version. I purchased some Dubro 4-40 Turnbuckles and made up new cross strut wires. I like this look better. I am still waiting for the final package to arrive at my LHS so I can complete the left side.

OLD CROSS STRUTS.JPG NEW CROSS STRUTS.JPG