• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

battery tray failure

mazjag

50cc
Guys, has anybody lost a plane from battery tray failure..My 62" Osiris went down this weekend because of it and I even lost the battery..I did a snap roll and it broke the battery out and disconnected it.. Plane and battery are dead.. I was using one scorpion strap holding the battery on the battery tray around the tray and the formers for the landing gear..I don`t use velcro as the constant R&R of the battery and pulling on it seems to weaken the tray in my other planes. I`m getting another Osiris, but I wonder how other guys are doing it...2 straps or using velcro? any thoughts..thx.

It seems to me that having the Velcro along the length of the battery distributes the load across several formers along the tray. Having just one strap would seem to focus the strain to just the contact points if the strap.

gyro

GSN Contributor
It seems to me that having the Velcro along the length of the battery distributes the load across several formers along the tray. Having just one strap would seem to focus the strain to just the contact points if the strap.

On my larger airplanes, I've been using 2 scorpion straps, on the 64" MXS and smaller, just one. All my batteries have velcro their entire length along the bottom. This thread is making me consider going to double straps on all.

mazjag

50cc
Yeah, I agree.. the velcro would have spread it out...I just don`t like it for reasons like I said..It didn`t the work the way I had it.. I had been using tool box liner that prevented the battery from sliding and 2 straps on my 51" slick with no problems..I got lazy on the 62" and just used one as I thought a pattern plane wouldn`t get stressed as much...It tore the piece of wood and the strap right out of it.. I wasn`t that mad until I couldn`t even find the battery...I`m gonna use 2 straps and beef up the battery tray on my new one...lesson learned...

On my larger airplanes, I've been using 2 scorpion straps, on the 64" MXS and smaller, just one. All my batteries have velcro their entire length along the bottom. This thread is making me consider going to double straps on all.

I run dual straps on my 48" EF Edge. I just started flying it on 4s packs, and they go far enough back I don't feel secure with the single strap.

mazjag

50cc
That is why I was using the tool box liner...It stopped i from sliding...About a 1 inch. strip along the center..didn`t work here..A battery 3/4 the size of a brick has some pretty good mass it seems..

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
which size scorpion straps do you guys use for 6s5000 packs? the buckle straps i get always end up being too long and useless for strapping packs in. i have some from my heli i just sold that work well, but want to stock up

gyro

GSN Contributor
which size scorpion straps do you guys use for 6s5000 packs? the buckle straps i get always end up being too long and useless for strapping packs in. i have some from my heli i just sold that work well, but want to stock up

Medium from rcdude.com

Av8r RC

50cc
I've always used at least two straps plus velcro on the tray and battery on all of my balsa planes. Even on my 41" edge, RIP. One just doesn't seem to be enough for me. And I've never had a batt come loose.

I recently crashed my 51 Slick. Broke the motor box clean off at the first former, crushed the cowl, broke off the rudder, and broke a gear in one of the HS5685 on an aileron. I had velcro on the tray an battery plus two straps. The force of the crash locked the velcro between the tray and battery so well that when I went to remove the battery I had to break out what was left of the tray. Just to get the battery out without damaging it.

But I've also had a battery come loose from this system during a crash. I once had a 59 slick do a great 60~70 mph impression of a lawn dart. I think regardless of how much velcro or straps I had on that one. It wouldn't have prevented the battery from impaling itself against the motor screws and going up in flames.

I would highly advise against using that tool box liner to prevent the battery from slipping, go with the velcro. I think if I was using that on my 51 the battery would have impaled itself into the motor screws. And possibly caused more damage.

You should also go over all the motor box, battery tray and all accessible former joints with a little thin CA on any new plane.