• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aztech Aeromodels Spot on Version2 Servo Arms

I just picked up some new V2 arms from Aztech-Aeromodels to do a mini review for you guys on the forums. First off i've been using his v1 for a few seasons with good luck however I always had mod them to get a better clamping force exerted on the splines and I despised the set screw that stripped out after 2 turns.

After quick inspection I noticed a vast improvement over the v1 arms, first noticeable change was the shot peening finish and upgraded aluminum. Not only was the new material stronger (6063) the hole was tapped for a 2.5mm set screw which will withstand from repeated use of turning and multiple installs over its life.

I used an OMG coreless servo and it's bench line gear lashed was measured at .0035", the servo was placed in my servo tester using a mitutoyo digital indicator to check the back lash. Now that I had my base line the first arm I tested was a brand new 2.75" V1 arm. To figure out the lost of motion my measurements were taking from the outer attachment point on the arm which measured .0035". Using the V1 arms the lash had a total increase of .007", it doesn't sound like much however add 4" ball links and now check your surface deflection at center.

1.jpg

Now for the V2 arms I noticed a substantial difference in fitment over the splines , these felt more snug right out of the package even before the set screw was touch. With the V2 arm and servo now installed in the test rig I checked it's lost of motion. To my surprise it was only .001" and a total lash of .0045" (servo backlash plus lost of motion) What a huge improvement and these were great right out of the package. No need to mod them for trouble free operation.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Cliff notes:
V1 arms measurable movement .007" (servo back lash + lost of motion)
V2 arms measurable movement .0045" (servo back lash + lost of motion)

The V2 arms are stronger, better splines, and utilizes a 2.5mm set screw. If you haven't bought them or have been afraid to try them i'd highly recommend looking into them as you will not be disappointed. They are rock solid and just as good as anything else out on the market. Your measurements may vary as I was using a servo I already had laying on the bench but the principle will stay the same.

Check out Azhars website www.aztechaeromodels.com, he is a great guy and offers great products for us giant scale flyers!

It isn't flying season here so I haven't flow a plane using the V2 arms however I will be doing a new EG build soon to put these to the test. I will keep this thread updated throughout the upcoming year.

So what do you do now with your V1 arms? well you can give those blinged out arms to a local flying buddy and upgrade or you can do what I did since I have so many of them . Drill out the hole and tapped them for a 2.5mm screw. Takes a few minutes and offers superior clamping force compare to the old screw.

7.jpg

Just thought I'd share my thoughts about another good arm out there on the market and a great person to do business with!

Thanks guys and happy flying,
Justin

dskuro95

100cc
Very nice review! I have been flying a lot with my Spot On Rc arms this season and part of last season. The v2 arms are rock solid, and have zero play. Fit my servos well and I love the design, as opposed to the standard rectangle that SWB or MPI uses.

I have found that if you want to use your v1 arms, that on electric planes they work great. That is because there is next to no vibrations. I know a lot of people were getting tons of slop on gassers with them, but they are perfect for electric planes.
Vital-RC I am going to try out your mod with tapping it for 2.5mm bolts.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Azhar, can you explain how 6063 is an upgrade from 6061?

From everything I see, 6061 is actually stronger. I'm no expert in this though. I looked it up when you first came out with the V2s....

Azhar

50cc
DJ.

They are harder and allows the clamping screws to tighten without stripping. I am not a materials man but was told it was harder. Seems that way. And after full season of hard flying with the 120cc birds, they are still solid with no play or wear,

I have a set I use on my 110 Yak. It has not gotten a lot of flight time, but they are much nicer than the V1s. I hope you are going to get 2" arms in the future as I have had to go with a competitor for those.