• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Article: E-Flite UMX AS3Xtra by rcdude07

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
My review

E-Flite UMX AS3Xtra Review

I had the original red UMX Extra 300 3D that I bought used from a fellow club member. The plane lasted me about a year to year and a half until the foam at the plastic motor mount became unrepairable after too many nose hits. I was saddened I didn’t have a backyard huckster any more. Then Horizon Hobby released this plane.
My wife ordered this plane for me a week before my birthday knowing the plane was backordered. Horizon Hobby told her it would be a two month wait. I was fine with this as work had me very busy during this time. Well, two months passed and I was still waiting. Three months passed, still waiting. The day before the four month mark I got the shipping notification. Horizon Hobby dodged an upset customer call as to why shipping was taking so long. During my months of waiting, it would have been nice if Horizon Hobby sent out periodic updates like “waiting on container from overseas to arrive, if there’s enough product in the container
your order will be filled†and “there was not enough product in the container to fill your order. We are waiting for the next container and hope to fill your order then.â€
Overview (Per Horizon Hobby’s website)
The E-flite® UMX™ AS3Xtra™ 3D aircraft takes Ultra Micro eXtreme to the next level. Constructed of laser-cut flat foam with carbon reinforcement and micro-thin film, this aircraft was specifically engineered to optimize a super-low wing loading, strength and durability plus AS3X® technology to provide outstanding 3D performance in tight flight spaces. Based on the ground breaking original UMX Extra 300 3D, the addition of AS3X technology makes it possible to be even more successful whether it’s performing the simplest loop or the latest extreme 3D moves. Even more appealing is that now AS3X technology offers flight mode flexibility so you can choose the level of stability performance you need instantly.
The UMX AS3Xtra is the perfect high-performance indoor ultra micro aircraft for the intermediate to advanced pilot. All you need to fly right away is your favorite DSM2®/DSMX® transmitter with dual rate options, a 25C or 45C 1S 3.7V 150mAh Li-Po battery and a 1S Li-Po charger.

Unboxing
Typical ultra micro packaging. The plane sits in the foam cradle. I like how there are two pieces of foam that goes over the tail and nose to keep the plane secure in the box. Another nice thing about the box is how the wings and horizontal stab rest in indentions in the foam cradle, keep them flat. There’s the typical spot for three 1S 45C 150mAh batteries. The packaging in the box makes it extremely nice and useful for initialization for flying.
Binding and TX Setup
Sadly Horizon Hobby gets a negative remark here. By default flight mode is mapped to the gear channel, 2-position switch. I believe this was done to support the DX6i/DX6. So through the manual I went. The manual does not mention specific setups for their different Spektrum radio systems. The manual lists the
setups for low, medium, and high rates. Being I have a DX8, I knew I wanted the flight modes mapped to the flight mode 3-position switch on the TX. So I dug around Spektrum’s website looking for a factory SPM file to download for the DX8. Sadly there was not one to be found for this aircraft. Fortunately, YouTube exists and I was able to find a video where someone explained how to setup the flight mode mapping in the DX8. I followed these instructions for inhibiting the gear channel and mapping flight mode to gear.
Binding takes a little bit longer than most ultra micros from Horizon Hobby. The first several times I connected the fresh battery, I wouldn’t hear controls initialize and I would only hear a click or two (like the motor hit resistance trying to spin) and no light would come on the RX. I was about ready to contact Horizon Hobby for support when I contacted my friend who has one. He informed me the initialization due to the AS3X and flight modes takes a bit more time compared to the micro P-40 and P-51 with AS3X. I didn’t recall reading this in the plane’s manual. So I followed my friend’s advice and waited longer. Sure enough, it finally initialized and I was able to bind. Binding is the same as all other micros from Horizon Hobby. After the bind, I checked my control throws and movement, all was good there.

Flying
One thing stated clearly from Horizon Hobby, in order to get the maximum performance out of this plane the new 1S 45C 150mAh battery must be used. The older 25C packs don’t allow for much, if any 3D flight. Fortunately
Even though I felt I could probably maiden the plane in my yard, I waited until I could get out to a park with much more open space. After much conversation about the three default flight modes on the plane, I felt the one I would like the most is standard AS3X. So I flipped into the mode, connected the battery, checked throws after initialization, and threw her in the air on low rates.
It was clear from the get go the plane has plenty of power and low rates are effective. Medium rates make the plane feel more responsive as they should, and
high rates let the plane perform sharp angles and quick rolls. I found I prefer high rates on the plane.
Level flight is easy and practically hands off due to the AS3X. Inverted flight is much the same. Aerobatics are performed with ease and the flight envelope is wide open. With a fresh battery the plane has practically unlimited climb, it’ll get small quick. I do notice with my plane in level flight, much over 50-75% throttle she climbs. After checking the stall and slow speed characteristics of the plane, it was 3D time. Stalls are similar to the original red UMX Extra 300 3D, flops over on the wing LE. With high rates on, the plane is extremely easy to get into a hover and hold in standard AS3X mode. Knife edge loops are tight, harriers are performed with authority. Working on rolling circles and rolling harriers, it’s clear the plane has plenty of control authority and will make the circuit fast. I did flip into the default hover assist mode and tried the hands off trick the plane is known for. It does the job if the throttle is set high enough. I found mine doing more of a gradual tail slide instead of hover. Consider me old school in I don’t like having my thumbs off the sticks in case of an emergency and the feeling of “lack of control.†When flying around I don’t feel/see a difference between standard AS3X and the heading hold flight modes, but then again I’m flying slow. So I keep it in standard AS3X mode. I have not put the optional side force generators on as I’m happy with how the plane flies without them.
I have not tried the additional flight modes, Knife Edge Assist and Torque Roll Assist. And probably never will. In watching various videos on YouTube, including the official Horizon Hobby video, you need 3 hands to properly program the additional flight modes. To program the additional flight modes you have to move and hold the sticks on the TX in certain positions, then turn on the radio and plane in a specific order. In my opinion this was a bad design by Horizon Hobby.

Pros
  • AS3X
  • 3 Flight modes standard
  • Small plane for indoor and backyard fun
  • Color scheme

Cons
  • Thin foam frame construction with covering on one side
  • Brushed motor
  • Common reports after approximately 50 flights power is lost and the motor needs replacing
  • Have to cut into the foam to replace the motor
  • Programming of additional flight modes is not easily done by oneself
  • Requires the 1S 45C 150mAh lipo for full performance
  • 4 months backordered when told it would be 2 months.

Conclusion
I like this plane. I wanted this plane strictly as a backyard hucker, and she’s quickly showing this was a great decision. I’m also using it to help work on moves such as rolling circles, rolling harriers, and recently the knife edge spin. Is the plane for a beginner? NO. The plane is best suited for an intermediate pilot to advanced/expert pilot. An intermediate pilot keeping the plane on low rates and using the heading hold flight and/or standard AS3X modes should do okay with learning to fly a higher performance aircraft. Will the plane 3D? YES. That’s what’s she’s designed for. Do I recommend the plane to someone with the proper skill set? YES, if they don’t have a comparable plane (ex. Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak) and fly Spektrum gear. You won’t regret adding this ball of fun to your hangar as long as you have the proper battery packs.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Excellent write up! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us here.
[MENTION=2643]3DMIKE[/MENTION], we should promote this into a member review article :)

AKfreak

150cc
I loved this little plane, I flew mine so much it just wore out, I have since started a little side project to use all the guts on a new Depron airframe, but this time use a brushless motor. Great write up indeed.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION] - Any thoughts about a slight scaled up version of this airframe to use the eflite electronics from the geebee or sbach? 150 mah 2s out runner with ESC on the receiver - same linear servos. Swings a 5" prop

Insanity?

AKfreak

150cc
I know it would have to be quite a bit bigger, I tried an Sbach set up on a spare as3xtra Depron frame I had, and it destroyed the frame. There is some one that makes an airframe for the bigger UMX setups. I'll do some digging and let,you know. I think it's Boker or Bower models, the name is on the top of my tongue. But they make a kit for what you are asking about.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
appreciated - truth is, my TH Inferno is filling this functional slot as my go to driveway/backyard flier quite nicely - but another airplane is always lurking at the edges of my conciousness