• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Are you going to register with the FAA? Cast Your Vote!

Are you going to register with the FAA?

• Yes

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 33.0%

• Total voters

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
AGAIN, Bill..... the checkoff is that I agree to the guideline to "INTEND" to fly under 400 feet , "agreeing to", and "agreeing to intend to", are 2 different meanings.
AGAIN, even if I would cause an incident with a FS under 400 feet, I am still liable due to see and avoid.....
Hey Trolling4fun, we get it...you like to argue!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
A guideline is just that..... not a rule, or law that is enforceable or prosecutable.
what you're missing is that the FAA is adding all of this to the current environment outside of the formal rules making process. that application (which I haven't seen yet because I'm traveling) might have that acknowledgement and it may or may not ever mean anything legally because the FAA doesn't make rules that way. Look at it though the way it's intended, they're trying to educate with this new registration process (as well as get records of who is doing what) so if they present a guideline during the registration process and if people see it there for the first time and think to actually follow it, then the FAA has accomplished something even if it's marginally or not at all enforceable.

argue the rules all you want, the FAA has successfully changed the definition of an "AIRCRAFT" to include all models, kites, etc. There are numerous FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) that can and will be applied if/when the FAA observes you being foolish so the 400' is a reasonable guideline which, if broken and observed or if broken and which causes an incident, will get you under the FAA's microscope and you'll be lucky if that's all they violate you for.

The moral is, for everyone, don't be stupid and pray you never get into it with a manned aircraft at any altitude.

Judge

70cc twin V2
No idea what they are trying to do and if they can realistically accomplish anything. Like you say, their track record is less than stellar. At a minimum I would like to see the guidelines page have a sentence added making it clear these are not all hard regulations enforceable as an FAR is. Something to unravel the Gordian Knot they have created with the way they have executed the registration process.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Not true.... you are required to "acknowledge" the "guideline" not to fly over 400 feet..... huge difference.
faa.JPG

Except it asks me to agree to "I will not fly over 400 ft." I'm not willing to stipulate that at this point. They do not state that "We recommend you not fly over 400 ft."

To me this is the the BIG DIFFERENCE.