• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Anyone have a good source for Radio set-up

GSNadmin

Staff member
Anyone have a good source for Radio set-up-
  • Dual rates for all flying styles?
  • control deflections?
  • throttle curves?

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
  • control deflections?
  • throttle curves?
What brand radio you have? There are some basic set up help out there, some share there set up's on line.
I'm no radio guru, but with help from @emtp275 I've really come along on my set up's.
Dual rates I'm using one switch, low,high,an STUPID running expo on all 3, with that one switch, all three of my surfaces are on that switch. I usually start on control deflection, with whtever the manufactuer recommends, and work from there, but I'm bad for starting off with TLAR (that looks about right) I don't have any throttle curves.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
  • control deflections?
  • throttle curves?

the newer radios are so much more flexible for radio set-up, older radios are a matter of what can be done within the radio and not usually about what you actually want.

dual rates all on one switch was a huge step forward for me personally, haven't tried throttle curves yet but I can see how that would help, not sure what dual rates could be offered that would suit all styles.

now that I'm simply a moderator I think I'm going to try Taranis. I always felt as an Admin that by using a Taranis I'd be offending potential advertisers. :) we all see where that got me!

BalsaDust

Bart I have considered getting a taranis just I have so much futaba stuff already. Throttle curves are nice on the gassers and even my glow planes that run pipes. Helps give a more linear feel to it.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Bart I have considered getting a taranis just I have so much futaba stuff already. Throttle curves are nice on the gassers and even my glow planes that run pipes. Helps give a more linear feel to it.
that big Super Cub earlier this year made me realize my JR 9503 days are coming to an end. it's still great for the small quads but I barely look at them anymore let alone fly them. A SmartFly power expander has extended what I can do with my Hitec Optima 9 receivers but even at that I'm limited although not as much. I might try Taranis for the heck of it. I had one at one point and sold it before I ever took it out of the box because I didn't have time to figure it out. New builds are planned for this winter so I might give it a try. Guys swear by the reliability and love the fact you can program in just about anything in the way of mixes, switch combinations, etc.

Wacobipe

100cc
I just stepped up and purchased a Jeti....seems like a radio with the latest tech and endless possibilities!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I'm thinking hard about buying the new Spektrum DX20. Right now I have a DX8 and a DX7s and I love the ease of programming. This past spring I picked up a JR 11X for my larger gassers. I absolutely loathe the programming on the 11X. So I might sell all three and put the funds towards the DX20. Only thing is I don't want to be the guinea pig. Kinda dragging my feet waiting on some reviews.

Reactions: JAG

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm thinking hard about buying the new Spektrum DX20. Right now I have a DX8 and a DX7s and I love the ease of programming. This past spring I picked up a JR 11X for my larger gassers. I absolutely loathe the programming on the 11X. So I might sell all three and put the funds towards the DX20. Only thing is I don't want to be the guinea pig. Kinda dragging my feet waiting on some reviews.

Mike, trying to figure out how to link my Futaba 9C (Spektrum module) to a foamie and don't remember how. Thinking it might be easier to buy an old Spektrum. Let me know when you get ready to sell.

Seeing that this thread is about set-ups, can anyone please fully explain how to set up a throttle curve. I'm sure that I am not the only one who doesn't understand it, so this might be a good place to get it out in the open.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.