• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Anyone familiar with the multi pitch props?

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Is anyone familiar with the 3W Carbon 3 Blade 31.5 x 8 x 14 (3D Prop)? I am currently running a Biella 32x12x3 and would like just a tad lighter load. Or maybe explain to me how the 8x14 part works?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Is anyone familiar with the 3W Carbon 3 Blade 31.5 x 8 x 14 (3D Prop)? I am currently running a Biella 32x12x3 and would like just a tad lighter load. Or maybe explain to me how the 8x14 part works?
Do not know much about 3w but if I am not mistaken 31.5 is the diameter, 8 is the pitch at the tip and the 14 is the pitch at the hub. That is how I read that, so what normally do is add the 8 and the 14 which is 22 then decide by 2 which is 11. As a equivalent the prop is about 31.5 by 11 by 3 .

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not know much about 3w but if I am not mistaken 31.5 is the diameter, 8 is the pitch at the tip and the 14 is the pitch at the hub. That is how I read that, so what normally do is add the 8 and the 14 which is 22 then decide by 2 which is 11. As a equivalent the prop is about 31.5 by 11 by 3 .
If your reasoning is correct that would be about perfect, I think. I am currently running at 5k rpm and would like to raise that by about 800, a slightly lighter loading prop is my only route.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Do you have the propeller or are you going to buy it. If you have try it and see what it does for you. I have tried these variable pitch propellers and was not impressed, tried it once and never tried again.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I do not have one yet. Like I mentioned I am looking to gain some rpm and the 3 blade props are not a varied in sizes. I have already went through 3 and am very close to where I want to be. At $200 a pop it is not a search for the weak hearted. I would have went with an adjustable Solo prop but they are more of a military and would not look good (scale) on a performance plane.
I have been running Biela and may just have to bite the bullet and try their 31.5x8x14.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not know what the Biella is made of but if it is wood why can you not trim the diameter off until get the desired performance and then refinishing the propeller. Or is it carbon then I would leave it alone. Have agree with you at $200 a try it can get real expensive in a hurry.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not know what the Biella is made of but if it is wood why can you not trim the diameter off until get the desired performance and then refinishing the propeller. Or is it carbon then I would leave it alone. Have agree with you at $200 a try it can get real expensive in a hurry.
The Biela is CF. In searching I just noticed the new owner of Solo is making different profiles. I sent him an email inquiring about what I would like along with a photo. It would be well worth the price at this point to be able to quit guessing, adjust and fly.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Had a look through the Solo sight pretty impressive. He does not have any recommendations for props relative to motors or I missed it. But there seems to be quite the selection. But it is not cheap it would be hard to get complete set up for a 150cc engine for less than $400 bucks.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
@Snoopy1,
Turns out they do not make the system for an engine as large as mine, more of an rpm issue than diameter. The Valach turns around 5500 rpm's where as a Moki is around 4000 . He did state that a larger one was on the burner, somewhere in the back though. So as it stands I will make due with my current prop, will probably still try the 31.5x8x14 but not right now. The current prop is more than adequate to compete in May, just won't have quite the sound I want but close. The engine has not had a break in tune, will get to that in the next day or so. Who knows, the tune may very well get the rpm's up to where I would like them. Really sad in a way, according to my log book I have less than three hours on the engine/airframe. Since the completion of the airframe it has been one thing after another keeping me from taking it out, but that is going to change starting next week.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Snoopy1,
Turns out they do not make the system for an engine as large as mine, more of an rpm issue than diameter. The Valach turns around 5500 rpm's where as a Moki is around 4000 . He did state that a larger one was on the burner, somewhere in the back though. So as it stands I will make due with my current prop, will probably still try the 31.5x8x14 but not right now. The current prop is more than adequate to compete in May, just won't have quite the sound I want but close. The engine has not had a break in tune, will get to that in the next day or so. Who knows, the tune may very well get the rpm's up to where I would like them. Really sad in a way, according to my log book I have less than three hours on the engine/airframe. Since the completion of the airframe it has been one thing after another keeping me from taking it out, but that is going to change starting next week.

WoW you are not having much luck. This Valach is that the 220 cc two cylinder four stroke engine. A good source of information on that engine is Tony Clark which you probably know already but would he not have prop you are looking for and or give you a recommendation. Looking at his sight he has a lot of stuff or just ask him for some advice.