• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Anyone ever see a DA like this ?

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
Anyone ever see a DA-150 like this one ?

I know it being an early version with the back half of the engine case being solid, but I have never seen one with a plastic reed block ( except for the new L version ).

Looks like all the prop bolts have been redrilled and tapped, some cylinder fins broken.

3-1.JPG

3-2.JPG

3.JPG

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
SleepyC said
Looks like a old skool DA-150 with a new reed block, and a 3W snorkel on it.
Well the engine case reed block would have been milled off, because the 150 has a raised engine case to accept the reed ( except for the new 150L ).

This one the reeds set into the plastic reed block like the 70, 100L, 120, 150L, 170.

57-1.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Very early version....and The Sleepy man would be correct....3W Snorkel. But you already knew that. Where'd ya pick that up?

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
stangflyer said
Very early version....and The Sleepy man would be correct....3W Snorkel. But you already knew that. Where'd ya pick that up?
Yeh, I know the version.

I had a second version ( solid back case with DA logo & rounded corners ).

This is the easiest version, no DA logo and square corners / edges.

My question is due to the plastic reed block.

Someone mill off the aluminum engine case to mount the plastic one ?

And it's on E-Bay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desert-Aircraft-DA150-giant-scale-Gas-engine-/141442857514?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20eea6ba2a

DATech

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My "guess"? Economy target drone engine. Serial # has a "G".  Heavier/simpler/cheaper case. Cheaper alloys, different tolerances. Stolen, and/or scavenged from a "shoot down" at a military range or scavenged from an ocean or lake. Some will still run well, others have a variety of issues, usually water damage or damage from the shoot down (usually stinger type missle). No warranty or service at DA.

DATech said
My "guess"? Economy target drone engine. Serial # has a "G".  Heavier/simpler/cheaper case. Cheaper alloys, different tolerances. Stolen, and/or scavenged from a "shoot down" at a military range or scavenged from an ocean or lake. Some will still run well, others have a variety of issues, usually water damage or damage from the shoot down (usually stinger type missle). No warranty or service at DA.
Thanks for the new softer tone on whether these are "stolen". 

It's fine that DA won't service these, but when the owner of these engines (US Government) decides to sell or give them away they aren't stolen.  DA may even have a contract that says they are to be destroyed, not sold or given away, but that is an issue between the government and DA.  At worst the possessor would have to turn over the engines (like what happens when you are an unknowing recipient of counterfeit money), but they still wouldn't be a thief.

And yes, some of them may have been stolen from the government, but in the country I am proud of, you are innocent until proven guilty.

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
I can't believe that it sold for $480.00 + shipping.

Broken fins, non working ignition, and looks like $hit.

@ DATech, are drone 150's made withe the plastic reed block or did someone mill the aluminum one off and modify the plastic some to it ?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
2robinhood said
I can't believe that it sold for $480.00 + shipping.

Broken fins, non working ignition, and looks like $hit.

@ DATech, are drone 150's made withe the plastic reed block or did someone mill the aluminum one off and modify the plastic some to it ?
Well it said DA on it. Who ever purchased it apparently is not up to speed on these motors. I would lay ya dollars to donuts they think DA is going to stand behind the warranty and send it in for free repairs. Ummm...... not so much. 

wecoyote

70cc twin V2
And it had 29 bids!

I like this line "the ignition is a little crusty and corroded because this was stored in a shop near the ocean." probably was stored IN the ocean till scavenged. LOL