• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Any Monokote users here?

What colors are you trying?

Metallic Blue, Aluminum, Orange and clear all seem to be adhering and shrinking just fine. Seams will tear the covering before they come apart at the higher heat settings although this is more heat than I like to use for that exact reason.

I did a bunch of tests before I started covering to make sure I'd make it through before I bought covering.

Seams hold fine, tacked edges hold great. All the colors I have just start shrinking around 250-260F. They sort of loosen then shrink as heat is applied. Open bays shrink up tight.

Windex works really well for trim or building a seam to go over an open bay. It needs to be sealed with trim solvent or hit with an iron to hold. The Windex helps create a nice static bond without bubbles similar to the bond between the Monokote and the backing, but it doesn't activate the adhesive nearly as much as heat or trim solvent.

I went ahead and covered my recent Monocoupe project with Monokote but not without problems. Most of the plane is covered with Missile Red all bought from from Tower. This seemed to be newer stock and it stuck to itself quite well and the shrink rate was what I would call normal. I used parts of (7 or 8) rolls and each roll was a slightly different color than the others but I was able to make it all work. Two rolls were noticably lighter in color and none of these rolls were even close to the same covering color purchased a few years ago. All were much darker than previous. Each roll had a noticable scratch about 1/3 the way into the roll and for most of the length of the roll but I was able to cut around this for usable sized pieces to complete the project. I am contacting Great Planes about this scratch issue that has to be coming from the equipment used to mfg. or package the covering. My original trim color was to be Maroon but the roll of covering I bought was apparently from the period where they had the sticking and shrinking problems as it would do neither very well and in fact it even expanded when heated rather than shrinking so I abandoned that color and switched to Black for trim. I bought a new roll of black Monokote but found it had the appearance of being sanded or scuffed at random in places all over the covering along with the fore mentioned scratches. All the scratches or scuffs were lengthwise along the covering which made that roll completely unuseable. At this point, I gave up and switched to Ultracote for the black trim. It seems to stick to Monokote well so it will have to do.

This whole covering experience was a nightmare and certainly not the pleasant experience I have had so many times in years past when using Monokote. I can say I'll never use the product again as I just don't need the frustration. I'm not much in love with Ultracote either so maybe I'm just going to be an ARF buyer from here on out. At least going that route I can blame the company for the quality of the covering.

^That's too bad.

I've seen a few imperfections on the covering so far, but nothing to the point I'd cut around it.

The whole issue with Monokote is really weird. Some covering seems to be about useless for people and then some of us get lucky and the rolls we get or the colors we happen to choose work fine.

Certainly wouldn't discount anyone's bad experience.

I much prefer Monokote over Ultracote. If only I could get Monokote of the same quality it was years ago. Sad when a product's quality decreases.

mikeh

70cc twin V2
I like Monokote also. I didn't have any trouble with the white, yellow or blue. But the metallic platinum was as you described. Scratches and swirl marks in the finish. Thankfully I was only cutting checkers so I was able to work around it

Billy J

50cc
I like Monokote also. I didn't have any trouble with the white, yellow or blue. But the metallic platinum was as you described. Scratches and swirl marks in the finish. Thankfully I was only cutting checkers so I was able to work around it
image.jpg
Just used Hobby King Yellow and black on this 35% Panzel

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I just completed a recover project on a H9 SU26 using Monocote. Missile red and Jet white. I had absolutely no problems with adhesion, shrinking or finish. Even over open bays and curves it didn't develop but a few wrinkles and they ironed right out. I had to recover the top of one wing and man that stuff was stuck down. I was a little apprehensive about using Monocote at first because of all the negatives I had read in the forums but went with it for it's superior opacity and finish. I'm glad I did.

I believe that getting good Monokote material is just the luck of the draw. Note my comments that the red I used all worked just fine with regards to shrink and adhesion .... but every roll had scratches and every roll was a slightly different color.

Here are some photos that show an example of the scratches and the different shades of red. Click on the files for a better view. Its hard to get a good photo of the surfaces but the scratches are clearly visible and they are all the full length of the rolls.

Monokote 3.JPG Monokote scratch.JPG Monokote scratches 2.JPG Monokote scratches 3.JPG

Last edited: