• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

An Oldie But A Goodie

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
That's awesome dude. What a great friend. Seems as though he is short an airplane now. Tell him about my Sukhoi and will make him a hell of a deal on it. LOL Now go fly the snot out of that plane and enjoy every minute of it.
Hey Chris,

How's everything going? My Buddy isn't short a plane, he's putting together a T/F P47 Razorback. It should be ready some time this fall.

Well Fella's, I tried to get the DA on my Extra running today, but it just wasn't meant to be. . . . . . .:(. I didn't take everything I needed to the field to work on it, so I just packed it up and came back home after about an hour or so. I will give it another go next weekend. The engine hasn't been run in a few years and another friend says it may need a carb kit. All I can say is that I hope not, because it's going to be a REAL PITA to get the engine off the firewall. My Buddy is a "Belts & Suspenders" kinda builder. Not only did he use blind nuts on the engine mount bolts, nut he backed up the blind nuts with Nyloc nuts behind them. So I'm going to have to remove the throttle servo and maybe some other stuff to get a wrench or socket on the Nyloc nuts so I can turn the bolts to remove them.

Stay tuned everyone. . . . . . . . :big_yes:

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Chris,

How's everything going? My Buddy isn't short a plane, he's putting together a T/F P47 Razorback. It should be ready some time this fall.

Well Fella's, I tried to get the DA on my Extra running today, but it just wasn't meant to be. . . . . . .:(. I didn't take everything I needed to the field to work on it, so I just packed it up and came back home after about an our or so. I will give it another go next weekend. The engine hasn't been run in a few years and another friend says it may need a carb kit. All I can say is that I hope not, because it's going to be a REAL PITA to get the engine off the firewall. My Buddy is a "Belts & Suspenders" kinda builder. Not only did he use blind nuts on the engine mount bolts, nut he backed up the blind nuts with Nyloc nuts behind them. So I'm going to have to remove the throttle servo and maybe some other stuff to get a wrench or socket on the Nyloc nuts so I can turn the bolts to remove them.

Stay tuned everyone. . . . . . . . :big_yes:
Can you get to the plate on the carb with the single big screw? If so, loosen it a little, then plug the vent line and pump a little fuel in it. The air will have nowhere to go and it will force fuel to the carb since the plate is loose. That will get everything wet and help it start since it's been sitting and everything is dried up. If it wont start after that you may need to freshen up the carb.

None of my DA50's use bolts and nuts, they all have bolts from the back of the firewall that screw into the standoffs, and there are bolts that go through the lugs on the engine that screw into the standoff from the front. I'm interested to see how yours is done.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Can you get to the plate on the carb with the single big screw? If so, loosen it a little, then plug the vent line and pump a little fuel in it. The air will have nowhere to go and it will force fuel to the carb since the plate is loose. That will get everything wet and help it start since it's been sitting and everything is dried up. If it wont start after that you may need to freshen up the carb.

None of my DA50's use bolts and nuts, they all have bolts from the back of the firewall that screw into the standoffs, and there are bolts that go through the lugs on the engine that screw into the standoff from the front. I'm interested to see how yours is done.
Like the carburetor trick never thought of that one, try to remember that for some time in the future I hope.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Hey Doug,
I'm with Snoopy on this one. I've never heard of that little trick either.

My DA has an allen head bolt that goes from the front of the engine mounting lugs, through the lugs and the stand-offs, through the blind nuts in the fire wall then Nyloc nuts were added to the bolts. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that he did it this way being every other engine he has is a 3W. 3W recommends their larger engines be mounted to a plate or flat surface then the plate/flat surface be bolted to the stand-off's. This prevents possible twisting of the crank case from uneven pressure applied to the mounting lugs.

Thanks for the tip, Buddy. . . . . :way_to_go:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Doug,

My DA has an allen head bolt that goes from the front of the engine mounting lugs, through the lugs and the stand-offs, through the blind nuts in the fire wall then Nyloc nuts were added to the bolts. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that he did it this way being every other engine he has is a 3W. 3W recommends their larger engines be mounted to a plate or flat surface then the plate/flat surface be bolted to the stand-off's. This prevents possible twisting of the crank case from uneven pressure applied to the mounting lugs.

That tip came from JediJody, the engine guru that worked for Valley View.

All of my DA50'S were mounted like this one in my scratch build.

downloadfile.jpeg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Doug,

Not about to dispute what the Dub factory states, but honestly not a single one of my 3w's is mounted as you indicated 3w states. Not doubting you one bit. I just never took the time to inquire if I was doing it right. shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

That tip came from JediJody, the engine guru that worked for Valley View.

All of my DA50'S were mounted like this one in my scratch build.

View attachment 105169
This has been my normal method of mounting engines to a firewall. Haven't had any issues so it must be right....right? yellow-smiley-confused-emoticon.gifI do take the necessary time to make sure my firewalls are trued and straight though. Can't see they would be any different than a flat piece of stock or plate than just the simple firewall it self. Just too much B.S. and extra weight if you ask me. LOL