• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Amount of space between cowl and carb

T.I.T

30cc
I'm wondering how much space there should be between the cowl and carb? I only have 3/4" between the cowl and carb and I'm beginning to think I'm not getting enough air to the carb.

T.I.T

30cc
Never mind I found the answer on DA website. I should have 1.5" between carb and cowl. Guess I'll be making an opening under the intake. Not sure why I didn't think of looking there first.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
I disagree with that. None of my planes are that far away from the cowl. I would say that if you are roughly the diameter of the venturi away from the firewall or cowl it will be fine.

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
jaybird;18976 wrote: I disagree with that. None of my planes are that far away from the cowl. I would say that if you are roughly the diameter of the venturi away from the firewall or cowl it will be fine.
I agree.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
T.I.T;18971 wrote: I'm wondering how much space there should be between the cowl and carb? I only have 3/4" between the cowl and carb and I'm beginning to think I'm not getting enough air to the carb.

Why are you "beginning to think that"? What symptoms led you to look at the spacing?

T.I.T

30cc
I'm getting what seems to be an excessive amount of fuel dripping onto the cowl, almost like it's choked a little but the choke is completely open. Also not getting great gas mileage. I've pulled the carb apart and checked to make sure diaphragm is work as it should and the reed valves are seating right, everything looks good there. Also when I have the cowl off to adjust the low and high end I can get it to run smooth, but as soon as the cowl goes on everything changes. I'm just going to make an opening in the cowl and see if it works.

T.I.T

30cc
It certainty won't hurt anything to cut an opening to get more air to the intake. I plan on putting a screen over the opening to keep crap from being sucked into the carb. Any suggestions on a what to use for a screen?

Yakman

70cc twin V2
Did you check the fuel pop off needle pressure on your inlet, its possible it is partly stuck or sticking open some.