• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AMA and Multirotors

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
My oh My! Dominos is going to re-instate 30 minute pizza delivery! Robots feeding the masses, delivering your consumables,
and recording every bit of it. Never thought we'd see the flying "pizza box" this way! lol. 72mghz may just make a comeback!

Spats

100cc
The multi-rotors are easier to fly out of the box than those things that came before. But that isn't the only problem. I learned to fly outside the auspices of the AMA and clubs. I am sure that many, many others did also. And our wildly out of control learning attempts were probably as dangerous as many of the imprudently flown multi-rotors. In retrospect, a club and the AMA would have been better choices. But as human beings we are all pretty good at making bad choices from time to time.

Another problem is something that has changed other than the technology for flying. When we were growing up, when Johnny did something stupid people shook their heads and it was dealt with by time behind the woodshed or some other informal process. Didn't matter whether it was making matchstick bombs, racing down main street, painting the water tower or whatever. Now be have a society intolerant of any risk, with national reporting of everything that happens, and a large contingent of lawyers, bureaucrats and legislators waiting to "fix" problems by writing something down on a piece of paper.

I'm going to report you for writing this post. You have a couple miss spellings and you have no business talking multitotors with a plane in your avatar. A government lawyer will be contacting you.
:laughing:

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
The problem with multi rotors (and I LOVE THEM) is that they work and work well. When smaller companies made and sold RC airplanes they usually sucked, or required more skill than the average schmuck could muster to do any damage with the thing.

Now any knob with $100 can have something that if they can figure out how to charge the battery will successfully go into the air. This is why they are in the media so much. When you allow the common schmuck to successfully fly something, you are going to see more of them.

The AMA has to do what they can to throw up flags saying “YO come here first”. But unfortunately as Tony pointed out, most of the new small Multi buyers could care less about the hobby or the AMA. They have no interest in a club they just heard about “drones” and wanted one.

Not sure what we can do as a hobby, except keep doing what we are doing. There is simply too much going on for anyone to ignore multi’s or not accept them. The sUAS industry is estimated to be at around $14.5 Billion dollars in the US by 2020. And wit5h that much money on the table, guess who is always going to win?

I’m working with an organization to hopefully request an exemption for my commercial operations, it’s a REAL PIA and there are 10,000 hoops to jump through... but guess who teh 6 companies who got exemptions work for... the MOVIE STUDIOS! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$ always wins. And 99% of the world could care less about $5000 airplanes.

So I’d say don’t get arrogant or mad, just keep flying safely at fields and events and do what everyone has done for 70 years.
Steve,
What I would like to know is..... IF Sec 336 is unenforceable...... which bunches us up under AC 91-57..... WHY did anybody have to apply for an exemption????? something is not right here.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Guys,

I sent an email to Bob Brown President of the AMA yesterday asking what the AMA official position is on Multi Rotors;

here is a copy of the email I sent and the response I received

On Jan 13, 2015, at 6:21 PM, JTEC/RADIOWAVE wrote:

Dear Mr Brown,

AS an active modeler for close to 50 years and industry manufacturer we would like to know the official position of the AMA concerning the influx and operation of Multi rotor/drone aircraft and how the AMA intends to intergrate or separate there operation with the current population that make up the AMA.

There is growing concern from both modelers and industry/manufacturers that the unrestricted use of multi rotor/"drone" operations could and will possible lead to severe restrictions or outright detriment of the hobby to which the AMA was formed as we know and enjoy it today.

Please let us have actual facts and steps that the AMA intends to take and not a political smokescreen answer.

The response we get from the AMA will be made public and available to the AMA members and industry personal.

Thank you for your time and response in advance.

Sincerely,
Al Young
CEO
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
jtec@earthlink.net
www.jtecrc.com
704-799-1658
Mooresville, NC

To: JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Subject: Re: What is AMA's official position on multi rotors/"Drones"
Date: Jan 13, 2015 6:33 PM

I understand some of the large scale boys are unhappy that we are paying attention to multi rotors.

Do you know this gent….

Bob Brown
AMA President
35 Sanford Street
Bradford, Pennsylvania 16701
amadiii@atlanticbb.net
+1 (814 ) 598-0050

I assume when he is asking : "do you know this gent" he is referring to me and I probably was not the actual person he meant to receive this answer

mndless

Don't know a thing..
That reply was obviously intended for someone else and does not convey any seriousness or any level of attentiveness to the question you forwarded...

Flirting on the edge of being flippant in his reply....

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Oh yea, we're screwed. Company name that everyone recognizes in a hobby that they were formed to support..........."do you know this gent".

That sux.:(

i hadn't thought about it that way....here's an email with the signature CEO, JTEC/Radiowave and Bob Brown, in addition to evading the questions and worrying more about who is asking the question, doesn't think to consider that it's a vendor serving the people Bob Brown is supposed to represent.

if there's one thing that really pisses me off it's people that seek positions of power where they are supposed to stand in support of others but then don't.

Spats

100cc
Guys,

I sent an email to Bob Brown President of the AMA yesterday asking what the AMA official position is on Multi Rotors;

here is a copy of the email I sent and the response I received

On Jan 13, 2015, at 6:21 PM, JTEC/RADIOWAVE wrote:

Dear Mr Brown,

AS an active modeler for close to 50 years and industry manufacturer we would like to know the official position of the AMA concerning the influx and operation of Multi rotor/drone aircraft and how the AMA intends to intergrate or separate there operation with the current population that make up the AMA.

There is growing concern from both modelers and industry/manufacturers that the unrestricted use of multi rotor/"drone" operations could and will possible lead to severe restrictions or outright detriment of the hobby to which the AMA was formed as we know and enjoy it today.

Please let us have actual facts and steps that the AMA intends to take and not a political smokescreen answer.

The response we get from the AMA will be made public and available to the AMA members and industry personal.

Thank you for your time and response in advance.

Sincerely,
Al Young
CEO
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
jtec@earthlink.net
www.jtecrc.com
704-799-1658
Mooresville, NC

To: JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Subject: Re: What is AMA's official position on multi rotors/"Drones"
Date: Jan 13, 2015 6:33 PM

I understand some of the large scale boys are unhappy that we are paying attention to multi rotors.

Do you know this gent….

Bob Brown
AMA President
35 Sanford Street
Bradford, Pennsylvania 16701
amadiii@atlanticbb.net
+1 (814 ) 598-0050

I assume when he is asking : "do you know this gent" he is referring to me and I probably was not the actual person he meant to receive this answer

Really, he thinks only "large Scale boys" are unhappy? That's it? This goes along with my original point that they are so far out of touch it's useless trying to get them to see the light. I think you may still get a "canned" answer soon from his assistant.

Spats

100cc
FYI Bob Brown has NO planes only multi rotors.

A guy from my area who loves multi rotors interviewed him at the show.