• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aj aircraft 93,73,56 laser

AKfreak

150cc
Not doubting the convenience factor on this... but I am also not super impressed by how rigid the stabs can be on the removable stabs for small planes. I dont think the convenience is worth the price and weight of the extra required servo on smaller planes. On the bigger 50cc + planes it makes more sense because you need two elevator servos anyway.

My 30cc plane has two tail servos and weighs 10lbs 6oz. Also they could design I so they work as one unit and work with one servo. Rigid stabs? You say they need to flex?

SnowDog

Not doubting the convenience factor on this... but I am also not super impressed by how rigid the stabs can be on the removable stabs for small planes. I dont think the convenience is worth the price and weight of the extra required servo on smaller planes. On the bigger 50cc + planes it makes more sense because you need two elevator servos anyway.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point..."I don't the convenience is worth the price and weight of the extra servo" :)
I think the convenience IS worth the price and weight of the extra servo. I'll let you know how the removable stabs on my 76" MXS-R hold up over the summer regarding the rigidity of the stabs.

Sometimes the installation of a heavier than specified motor will require more offsetting weight in the tail anyway, so sometimes two elevator servos help with CG anyway.

gyro

GSN Contributor
In the 30cc class, the glued stab design is much stiffer. I've had plenty of both, and the rigidity is nice

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
We will have to agree to disagree on this point..."I don't the convenience is worth the price and weight of the extra servo" :)
I think the convenience IS worth the price and weight of the extra servo. I'll let you know how the removable stabs on my 76" MXS-R hold up over the summer regarding the rigidity of the stabs.

Sometimes the installation of a heavier than specified motor will require more offsetting weight in the tail anyway, so sometimes two elevator servos help with CG anyway.

you start adding up weight very quickly. i can tell you for a fact that 0.5 lb is completely noticable on a 30cc plane. my 72 extra weighed in at 10 lbs 4 oz. my dad's gas 72 extra weighed in a 11+ lbs, and they were COMPLETELY different airframes.

My 71 slick gasser is a hog as I built it with the second elevator servo for balance reasons. Would not do that again. Something like 11.5 pounds.

My 74 edge built with a single elevator servo and the "heavy" VVRC-40 is 10.75 and is a hoss.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have no problem agreeing to disagree... it is totally a preference item. My biggest point was to counter the categorical imperitive that was used stating that All aiframes from everyone should have removable stabs. I was simply maki g the case that there is another valid point of view with as much merit. Each person can really form their own opinion based on their circumstances. This is not a right vs. Wrong scenario.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just off the phone with [MENTION=2838]Andrew Jesky[/MENTION], got a little update:

-testing done on the big Laser, and he's going with the 92" wing. Hoping to start production soon.

-website will go live very soon, if you haven't subscribed to the mailing list yet, check out www.aj-aircraft.com

-the 56" / 73" container should arrive in June, so make sure you're money is saved up! There will be pre-orders available on the website once the arrival date firms up a little.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
The site (aj-aircraft.com) is coming along nicely but still no pre-order options but it appears they are getting close.