• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

A little story

N726AC

70cc twin V2
As some of you know, I have been working on a Pitts S2A. There is quiet a backstory on this. First of all the Pitts belongs to a great friend who is also a RC guy. He is a Top Gun competitor and also gets paid to haul people around in a 757.
In April 2015, I brought my North American BT-14 'home' to get it cleaned up for Sun-N-Fun. I live in an airpark and keep this plane at a neighboring airport. So, I have this big, honking warbird sitting on my ramp when Capt. Jim makes a flyover and lands. This is a beautiful example of a factory built (certified) Pitts S2A. Capt. Jim searched long and hard to find a nice airplane with no damage history. It then underwent restoration including new cover and paint,, it is stunning !
Thinking that it was a great photo opportunity to have the Beauty and the Beast side by side we took a few pics.

It was a nice day with about a twenty knot quartering wind. Not a big deal. Then a fellow that was landing a Cirrus lost control and departed the runway with the intention of making a go-around. He ran out of talent. The Cirrus came careening across my ramp, hitting the Pitts, a stand of Royal Palms (trees) continuing to glance off of my neighbors home and into a couple more trees. Thankfully no one was injured.
Capt. Jim and I were at another neighbors house and heard the crash.

The wing of the Cirrus had only 'clipped' the prop of the Pitts, but that required a complete teardown and inspection of the engine and repair/replace the prop. The crankshaft was found to be compromised and was also replaced.
The Pitts could not fly out so I offered Capt. Jim my hanger, time and tools to make it right again. The cowling was removed then prop and engine were removed and sent to the appropriate facilities.

I took many close-up, detail pics of all of the connections and plumbing feeding the engine. It does have inverted fuel and oil systems to complicate things. I'm not going to post those, they would bore you to death!

One day the 'prop shop' calls and says 'it's ready', then later the same call from the engine shop!

I spent several days, with the help of Capt. Jim, neighbors and Todd. Todd G is the APIA who was technically overseeing and tackling the tasks that needed a more experienced (professional) touch.
Four months after the accident, we start the engine!

And today it flies!!!

Capt. Jim retires from the 757 and the airlines in two months with solid intentions of giving commercial rides in the S2A. Those dreams can definitely become a reality with the Pitts back together and whole again!

N726AC

70cc twin V2
That's a good looking pair of airplanes.:yesss:

I really like the looks of the small canopy on the Pitts.

It has a cover over the front hole in these pics. It is easily removed via dzus fasteners and a windscreen put in place,,, with dzus fasteners. ;)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The guy that ran the business next to mine had an S2E, so I've always been obsessed with the Pitts in any form.

He was a cool old guy. He was a B26 pilot in WWII, he built a really nice Skybolt, and later a SE5, both in his two car garage at home.