• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Your work is "top notch" . Very nice. Makes me want to build something again but that wont' happen *sigh* I do enjoy seeing what others can do with some balsa and glue though;).

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks guys!

I was working on the instrument panel last night. It wont be to fancy, but it has to have something. I'll post some pics when I make a little more progress.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Here are some pictures of the instrument panel. Like I said before, it's not very fancy, but it will do.

I used a J'Tec kit. I started with a piece of .040 Styrene plastic. I marked out where I wanted the instruments and drilled some small pilot holes on the drill press. I then moved to a 1/4' bit and then onto a Unibit. Unibits are great for things like this. When your drilling plastic with a standard bit, you can end up with a hole that's not round. The Unibits drill a nice round hole.

I painted the panel with a spray can then glued the thin clear plastic that comes in the J'Tec kit to the back side with canopy glue. I then glued the paper gauges on the back of that with a glue stick. Before I mount it in the plane it will get a thin piece of ply on the back, probably 1/32"

20150516_111529_resized.jpg

20150516_113810_resized.jpg
20150516_173554_resized.jpg
20150516_203624_resized.jpg
20150516_203715_resized.jpg
20150516_211703_resized.jpg
20150516_211711_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Today I glued a liteply base on my pilot with Goop. The pilot is a rubbery plastic of some kind and I wasn't sure what to use for glue so I did a test last night with a part I had cut off the pilot and a scrap of liteply using goop. This morning I couldn't tear it off no matter how much I pulled. That should do.

I also started doing the prep work so I can glass the hatch. I need to thank @Terryscustom for the tip in one of his threads for getting dents out of balsa. I was looking at the hatch this morning and saw a huge gash in the top at the front. I have no idea how that got there. Remembering what Terry had said, I dabbed some water on it and then hit it with my heat gun. It nearly totally disappeared. I had use water before, but I had never used heat.

He looks sad doesnt he with his shoulders loped off.;)
20150517_122413_resized.jpg
20150517_150129_resized.jpg
20150517_150133_resized.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Here are some pictures of the instrument panel. Like I said before, it's not very fancy, but it will do.

I used a J'Tec kit. I started with a piece of .040 Styrene plastic. I marked out where I wanted the instruments and drilled some small pilot holes on the drill press. I then moved to a 1/4' bit and then onto a Unibit. Unibits are great for things like this. When your drilling plastic with a standard bit, you can end up with a hole that's not round. The Unibits drill a nice round hole.

I painted the panel with a spray can then glued the thin clear plastic that comes in the J'Tec kit to the back side with canopy glue. I then glued the paper gauges on the back of that with a glue stick. Before I mount it in the plane it will get a thin piece of ply on the back, probably 1/32"

View attachment 23332
View attachment 23333 View attachment 23334 View attachment 23336 View attachment 23338 View attachment 23342 View attachment 23345
Very impressive. I am going to have to remember this little trick for instrument panels. Really like what you are doing with this. Keep it up.