• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

48" EPP Yak

Flew the Yak this morning. I have my CG back @ about 4 3/4 inches and she really felt sloppy. Clipped a pothole in the sand runway at the field and killed a prop, too. Not the most spectacular of maidens, but it sure looks nice in the air....

Going to shift things around to move some more weight forward, and put some beefier wheels on her - the narrow stockers dig into the sand pretty hard.

Matt

412306_10151139882704663_1475911955_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dougb

50cc
Hopefully, I'll have a Yak maiden this weekend. I really like the 48 EPP Extra. The Yak looks like a winner too. Wish it had a different color scheme. My only nit pick thus far. :cool:

Doug B.

Turnerm

50cc
I actually LIKE this color scheme.

This plane is good bit more sensitive to CG than the Extra is. In my opinion it prefers a more forward CG than aft. It can get really sloppy if you've got your CG too far back.

dougb

50cc
:) LOL, color schemes are like music everybody likes something different. I like the scheme just want different colors. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the CG tips. I agree, the Extra doesn't seem to care about battery position. I've moved the battery around on the Extra, didn't make much of a difference until it was really tail heavy.

Doug B.

Moved a bunch of stuff forward in the fuselage, and put some bigger wheels on for the grass / sand here (Dubro 3in extra lights).

Going to try it again in the morning :)

Build is very easy. You do need longer servo extensions than the website specifies, though. I ended up with 18" extensions on rudder and elevator, as the 12" barely reaches into the canopy area. The tail on this guy is longer than on the Extra, which seems to be where the extension list was based.

Moving thing forward helped with the CG. I'm still a tough behind the neutral point, but it flies nicely.

Getting used to the low-speed handling, which is quite good. This thing does an amazing blender :D

SWAMPER

New to GSN!
wahooo got the plane and just about done have to pick up some foam safe CA today to finish up but so far looking good, ran to lowes yesterday and found some welder glue twin packs so i bought 3 packs just to have since it seems harder to find local :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
wahooo got the plane and just about done have to pick up some foam safe CA today to finish up but so far looking good, ran to lowes yesterday and found some welder glue twin packs so i bought 3 packs just to have since it seems harder to find local :)

I don't think you have to use foam safe glue on EPP... At least I didn't. Regular thin CA works fine.