• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3W-100 Looking for some advice

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi crime stoppers!

Wait, that was a Steve Martin skit in the 70's.

Hi fellow RC flyers!

Over the weekend I picked up an old Cap 232 with a 3W-100i-B2 in it. The engine has been sitting for at least two years and I'm wondering if there's anything I should do specific for this engine before I try to run it.

I've always heard 3W's are really strong but can be finicky so I'd rather have it as close to 100% as I possibly can before flying it.

Any suggestions? SleepyC said to make sure the spacer under the carb is perfectly flat. Anything else?

Thanks,
Bart

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Tollitson carb or Walbro either one probably needs a new rebuild kit after sitting so long. Pull the reeds and make sure they are ok and seating properly and have not become stuck. Inspect the plug boots and caps for wear, corrosion, deterioration. Inspect the spark plugs( I would use a fresh set). Inspect all the braided wire of HV leads for frayed areas. Just make sure it turns over easily with the plugs removed. Listen and feel for anything unusual. When you pull the reeds you will see the rod ends at the crank and have a nice visual.

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
It's got a DA ignition which looks relatively new so the ignition leads and caps are in good shape. I'll have to pull the lower cowl off to get to everything else.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give it a good look and we'll go from there!

Why don't you call Gerhart at Aircraft International. He is only about 30 minutes from you and a local call. A little proper information will save you a lot of aggravation.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
just checked it out.....a friend of mine mentioned a 3W shop in NJ but then he said that he thought he wasn't in business anymore. that's what I get for trusting @Cub Man; !!

I'll have to call and make plans to drive out to see him, maybe I'll just let him give it a good once over.
Thanks!
Bart

2walla

50cc
Chances are it will run without too much messing around. I would clean the carb in place -people screw up the reed block cage up by overtightening them so they warp. I would mark the needles, pull them, and pull the plates off the carb and give it a good spray down with carb cleaner. Put it back together and see what it does(after cleaning out the tank too) if it. It prObably has a tillitosin carb- make sure you get the hooks on the diaphram installed correctly.. On a motor somebody changed the ignition system i am usually pretty careful about flipping it... Eyeball it and make sure the timing is in the ballpark.. My 106 had the sensor come loose and kicked back and broke all four fingers on my hand.. Chances are thoigh if they sprung for DA for a replacement they probably installed it correctly...

Yeah, and if you send that 100 in with the DA ignition, he will have a coronary.

I would try to start it regardless of how long it had been sitting. Otherwise, how will you know if something is amiss. Fuel it up, and get it primed, then look for fuel leaks around the carb throat. If it does leak, chances are that it is the metering needle (inside the carb) is stuck open. Thats an easy fix.

Does this engine have the Red phenolic block and reed housing built into the engine or the Black carb block and reed housing? Either way, make sure that the carb mount is true where it meets the reed housing.

Most times, the older 3Ws came with the Tillitson carbs. The Tillitson carb has a coarser thread than what the Walbro counterpart has for needle adjustment. Is one carb better than the other?? Nope. There are lots of folk that say yes. An 1/8 turn on a Walbro is more like a 1/4 on a Tillitson.

If you were closer, Id tell ya to bring it over, and I could have it running in about 30 mins.

Do you know/remember if the engine has had fuel thru it? If so, there is a strong possibility that the diaphragms in the carb are dry and stiff. Gerhard will have each carb rebuilt kit. And use some compressed air to blow out the carb, if you tear into the carb.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Thanks for the replies guys. If I have time I'll tear into it myself, I'm pretty comfortable with engines and stuff like that. With the engine being older and not run recently though I want to get it back to 100% before I take it flying. I had a Fox 4.2 that ran great and then didn't run great and then ran great and then didn't run great and so on. It cost me a plane and I still kick myself for not just taking it apart and really getting it clean inside and set up correctly so I don't want to make that mistake again.
I'll contact Gerhart and see what he has to say.
I had a 3W-80 one time (it was in a collection I purchased) but never flew it because I sold it to pay for something else so it's kinda cool to have a 3W in the house again.
Bart

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Send it to Gerhard... he'll go through it, do a carb job and you'll be good to go. Very reasonable and he does a great job.