• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS EPP Edge kitbash

After crashing my epp edge about 10 times there was literally more glue than foam holding the fuse together. So, rather than trash it, I cut a new fuse out of a piece of 1 inch thick EPP and grafted the wing and stab from the original Edge. For the fuse I used the shape of one of my balsa profile planes called a Primo from www.swanyshouse.com. I had a full scale Illustrator drawing from when I designed a covering scheme for it so I used that then scaled it down until the wing was the same size as my existing Edge wing. Added some carbon rods and flat ribbons here and there and it came out pretty rigid and light. This version is 4 ounces lighter which combined with the Omega 103 gram motor makes for a rather ballistic power to weight ratio. Flying it is just funny. It will snap like no other and has waaaay too much speed. I actually had to prop down to avoid blowing back the hs65 servos. That or the ailerons, or wing was flexing. Rollers are way easier than the stock edge however harriers are a little harder. Seems to be more snap happy when transitioning from flying on the wing to being fully stalled. Once stalled it's very easy to hover but it's downright nasty on the transition. On the other hand it focuses me to stay on top of it mentally and not get lazy when flying it. Durability is good as in learning where the CG is supposed to be I've dorked it in about 5 times so far. All in all it's a decent flying Frankenstein-type plane. In the future I think I'll fly it with a lighter motor...if it lasts that long.

Mike

Attachments

• edgeEPP.jpg
    edgeEPP.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 683

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thats really neat Mike! Glad you were able to get some more life out of your Edge! Pretty incredible what you can do with some EPP and a little motivation these days!