• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS and Extreme Flight Merger?

Vital-Rc

50cc
Partnerships never work , I hope they stay seperate but as cut throat as this
Business is( everyone thinks they can be an Rc business with a cc) I wouldn't be surprised if
they did merge to stay profitable . I don't know 3dhs but Chris is a super nice guy and I always loved my ef plane.

Taildraggerrc

70cc twin V2
Personally the "rumor" threads are not cool for the parties involved. Even if it came from what one feels is a "reliable" source it is still a rumor until proven true about the said 2 business's. I know the subject matter of this could be a good news feed but the company's should be the one to announce if it were to happen. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Also, well put.
However not sure I agree with this part:
"EF would fill out the smaller size classes, and 3DHS would bolster the giant scale offerings."
The indicators certainly can point to a potential merger and I too hope the benefits and positive aspects of both companies are synergized into a wonderful provider of great airframes. I've had nothing but great experiences with EF. Not much experience with 3DHS, only my first balsa - 48" Edge which I liked and it taught me much. Nothing negative to say. My experience and what I've witnessed does indicate EF frames are very durable.
I've been trying to urge both guys to do a Prometheus in 60"-100cc. I know and understand the reluctance to do a Bipe. Who knows, this might free up some R&D opportunities (let me
Dream!). If you look at my Avatar you can see I have some bias toward EF. If you add the 91" extra and 60" MXS in boxes and the since "retired" 60" Extra and 48" MXS. Well, guilty as charged of being a fan of EF.
I hope this adds up to good things for investors in 3DHS and EF as well as the hobby.

I have planes from both companies, and I absolutely love both. Extreme Flight has the market cornered on small electric 3D airplanes, but that's not to say their giant scale planes aren't great too. I'm just saying 3DHS has no new small ARFs, and have a fairly wide variety of giant scale planes from 25% all the way to 40%, which EF does not. Of course EF is building that up slowly with the 35cc class of EXPs, the 70cc MXS prototype, and the rumored 120cc Yak 54.
I'd like to see EF apply their build quality and strength to some of the 3DHS giant scale planes that we all love, and expand their lineup building on some great designs that already exist.

I want to add one thing about the limited lineup of Extreme Flight planes. This may in fact be THE reason they are able to provide such good customer service and product support. It is easier to keep sufficient stock on hand, both of complete planes and of spare parts that 3DHS simply could not, and a merger could severely compromise exactly this.

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
I've heard talk about this for about 6 months now. All I've seen so far in terms of actual steps towards a merger are some co-sponsored events.

If it happens, it's obviously to reap benefits of scale. The advantage would be better and faster service. The disadvantage would probably be that a lot of models would be discontinue due to overlap.

Bipenut53

150cc
Wow, well if this is true, then we all could benefit from it. If it were a perfect world, they could take what each does best and make one giant of a high performance airframe company and work on the things both have problems with. One thing I fear is the fact that the customer may get lost in the mix and only get to choose from a select few choices. I do really like what Redwing RC is doing and I wish them every bit of success in this hard fought over small piece of luxury dollars people have to spend. There are other companies in this business that do put out a very good product and I hope it stays that way. I am in the luxury dollar end of business too and it is very difficult to do business in today's market and economy. It does come down to customer service, value, and perceived quality, I do hope that everything works out for the best for all involved weather they merge or not. I will be watching with great interest.

6172crew

50cc
Up until today I didnt know EF sold a electric 7X inch Edge 540, but I wanted to look before I opened my mouth and says "soon" I love my 3dhs 74, the price is right and it can do way more than I can.

I don't think we will know the answer to this until Joe Nall. Both camps are staying out of public eye till then as they both are skipping SEFF and 3DHS skipped the trade show circuit. There is a thread on this over on Giant Scale News that SleepyC went into his contacts and got a lot of his sources to say this is happening, but nothing official.