• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3DHS 75" EDGE 540 V2 Assembly Thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Maiden Complete with Video!

This plane flies great. Floaty, has good power (maybe a little less than a 60" bird on my setup), responsive, and an overall locked in feel. A little nose heavy, since everything is moved back as far as I can without modification I may have to add weight to the tail.

ESC settings for now: 0 Timming (low), 75 Start Power (med-high), 8 PWM, 9 Throttle Response (high). I'll try and download the data and get some more numbers.

Probably get a safe 4.5min flight time on my setup. Very happy with this plane looking forward to flying it again!
About your Esc settings how did you know the settings. Zero for timing and 75 power, and what does PWM mean.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
About your Esc settings how did you know the settings. Zero for timing and 75 power, and what does PWM mean.

Research. I asked Ken at Subsonic Planes (He's the owner and hand winds the MotrolFly motors) what settings he would recommend. He gave me two recommendations for my setup: 8PWM or Outrunner mode and Timing LOW. PWM means Pulse Width Modulation and the number is in kHz (so 8Khz). The best description I can find is that It's the frequency at which the ESC decides if the FET needs to pass electricity. Here is an excerpt from RCG:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?553395-What-timing-what-is-PWM
" -Timing is sort of like the timing on brushed motors. With those you turn the end of the motor to advance the timing for higher output, or to neutral for higher efficiency.
With the brushless controller the advance is done electronically. Some controllers like CC optimize the advance as the motor runs.
- PWM stands for pulse width modulation. This is how the controller adjust the motor power.
The controller actually has three main tasks. One is to do the job that brushes normally do, commutate or switch the current to the correct coils at the correct time.
Another task is to vary the speed, or power. It does this by "chopping" the signals to the motor into small pieces.
For low speed it only turns the coils on for a small amount of time , and for full speed the coils are always on. So the pulses vary in width.
This is superimposed on top of the commutation signals, which is a form of modulation.
Voila - pulse width modulation.

Some controllers let you adjust the PWM frequency. Higher frequencies result in more losses in the controller, but less in the motor.
Lower frequencies result in more losses in the motor but less in the controller.
If your motor is running hot and the ESC is cool, you can try a higher frequency and visa versa.
Follow the motor manufacturers recommendation for both timing and PWM since the motor construction determines the appropriate values.
Hope that helps
Pat MacKenzie"

With that said, I like to give a little higher start power to get the motor turning in the right direction quicker. Like if it starts to windmill and if you're a throttle bumper like me the Throttle Response to high is nice.. I like to play with the settings and find what works for me. I'm not saying my numbers are perfect and I do not understand the settings that well, and I will be adjusting them to find the happy spot for my flying style and motor/esc combo. First thing I may change is from 8PWM to Outrunner mode and see if the small cut out sound goes away as you can hear as I'm hovering in the video.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I'm very happy to see it fly so well :).Very nice set up. I have been using the elastic head strap with my session and it is very comfortable and stays put. Yea....I look like an idiot wearing it but I can't see it o_O lol

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Research. I asked Ken at Subsonic Planes (He's the owner and hand winds the MotrolFly motors) what settings he would recommend. He gave me two recommendations for my setup: 8PWM or Outrunner mode and Timing LOW. PWM means Pulse Width Modulation and the number is in kHz (so 8Khz). The best description I can find is that It's the frequency at which the ESC decides if the FET needs to pass electricity. Here is an excerpt from RCG:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?553395-What-timing-what-is-PWM
" -Timing is sort of like the timing on brushed motors. With those you turn the end of the motor to advance the timing for higher output, or to neutral for higher efficiency.
With the brushless controller the advance is done electronically. Some controllers like CC optimize the advance as the motor runs.
- PWM stands for pulse width modulation. This is how the controller adjust the motor power.
The controller actually has three main tasks. One is to do the job that brushes normally do, commutate or switch the current to the correct coils at the correct time.
Another task is to vary the speed, or power. It does this by "chopping" the signals to the motor into small pieces.
For low speed it only turns the coils on for a small amount of time , and for full speed the coils are always on. So the pulses vary in width.
This is superimposed on top of the commutation signals, which is a form of modulation.
Voila - pulse width modulation.

Some controllers let you adjust the PWM frequency. Higher frequencies result in more losses in the controller, but less in the motor.
Lower frequencies result in more losses in the motor but less in the controller.
If your motor is running hot and the ESC is cool, you can try a higher frequency and visa versa.
Follow the motor manufacturers recommendation for both timing and PWM since the motor construction determines the appropriate values.
Hope that helps
Pat MacKenzie"

With that said, I like to give a little higher start power to get the motor turning in the right direction quicker. Like if it starts to windmill and if you're a throttle bumper like me the Throttle Response to high is nice.. I like to play with the settings and find what works for me. I'm not saying my numbers are perfect and I do not understand the settings that well, and I will be adjusting them to find the happy spot for my flying style and motor/esc combo. First thing I may change is from 8PWM to Outrunner mode and see if the small cut out sound goes away as you can hear as I'm hovering in the video.
Thanks for that it was very helpful I just got a motor and ESC for a project and this will be first go at electric power plane so I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Had three more flights on this plane. Lots of fun. Best Knife Edge turn I have ever done... practically a full circle!! I’m getting about a 4min flight time on two 3700 6S. Very floaty. Put an ounce in the tail and it helped high alpha a bit for me. Lots of tail authority to push the plane around, and getting more comfortable with it every flight. I like the 3300 batteries for my CG, but the 3.5min flight time is not as fun as the gas counterpart at 14mins +

Bottom line is the airframe is great! Color scheme really shines and gets lots of compliments in the air.