• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 60" Yak-55

I have about 12 flights on mine now, everyone of them in 10+mph winds (plus gusts), it handles the wind really well. I set it up with 7245s, 4315-500 and using 6s 3000 Glaciers (485g). I ended up with 21g of lead on the tail to get it to balance where I'm happy, the plane has no issues with the weight but it feels a little heavier than the other 3DH planes I've owned. I think I may go from pull/pull to push/pull so I can ditch the lead but it looks like its going to be pretty tight to get the servos back to back and I don't want to mess up its beautiful ugliness with a rudder push/pull rod. I love the plane but its going to take a lot of getting used too, haven't used the SFGs or tips yet and high alpha was definitely squirrely for my thumbs. Flat spins were amazing, it looks like Gamera coming down with the 4315 whipping it around. Close to vertical death slides were pretty neat as well.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have about 12 flights on mine now, everyone of them in 10+mph winds (plus gusts), it handles the wind really well. I set it up with 7245s, 4315-500 and using 6s 3000 Glaciers (485g). I ended up with 21g of lead on the tail to get it to balance where I'm happy, the plane has no issues with the weight but it feels a little heavier than the other 3DH planes I've owned. I think I may go from pull/pull to push/pull so I can ditch the lead but it looks like its going to be pretty tight to get the servos back to back and I don't want to mess up its beautiful ugliness with a rudder push/pull rod. I love the plane but its going to take a lot of getting used too, haven't used the SFGs or tips yet and high alpha was definitely squirrely for my thumbs. Flat spins were amazing, it looks like Gamera coming down with the 4315 whipping it around. Close to vertical death slides were pretty neat as well.

Interested how the high alpha improves with the sfg on. In my experience, they make a huge difference.

Any news on how these planes are flying? Videos? Different setups? I want to see how the 4S setups are flying vs the 6S ones.

mazjag

50cc
I don`t have any videos, but after flying it a bit I`m not super happy with it. It flys well when you keep the speed up and it does good flat spins and knife edge, but mine does terrible elevators as the nose just drops unless you add a good bit of throttle..Even with the SFGs it hard to handle slow...I like my 51 Slick and 70 Velox a whole lot better at this point...Just not a real floaty airframe it seems. Gonna keep messing with it. It reminds me of trying to fly 3D with a glow plane. Too much weight and not enough wing...

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I don`t have any videos, but after flying it a bit I`m not super happy with it. It flys well when you keep the speed up and it does good flat spins and knife edge, but mine does terrible elevators as the nose just drops unless you add a good bit of throttle..Even with the SFGs it hard to handle slow...I like my 51 Slick and 70 Velox a whole lot better at this point...Just not a real floaty airframe it seems. Gonna keep messing with it.

Keep at it! My buddy has one and it does low and slow great!

mazjag

50cc
I will...It wouldn`t be this first plane I didn`t like at first.. I usually run a slightly more forward CG in the winter to deal with the wind here in Georgia.. Even with 35grams in the tail I`m still slightly nose heavy. I might have to add more or move the rudder servo as suggested to get it more neutral.

I don't know about anyone else, but I never adjust the CG for weather conditions. I set my 3D planes up for neutral handling both upright and inverted, and then I set a rudder-elevator-aileron mix for knife edge and I leave it on permanently. That way it reacts precisely and predictably in all attitudes, windy or not. Nothing kills aerobatic performance like a fore CG so I'm guessing you will benefit from moving the weight back a little.

mazjag

50cc
Well, that is how you do it....Everybody has their own way...I fly 3D as well as some pattern stuff mixed in so I like it that way. The winds are like 10-15mph here and usually a crosswind. The plane flys better overall like that even if it doesn`t hover/harrier as well. Its just a touch and I`m pretty sure that is not what is killing it as I`m at 35 grams of ballast compared to Ground Hog`s 21 so I doubt I`m way out of of the ballpark..

Last edited by a moderator: