• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 60" Yak-55

There are several layers of covering on the stab opening. I have used a wood burner with a needle tip with great success, but it got bogged down on this plane and damaged the wood a bit. Just looks a bit ugly.
Wings have two counter rotation pins. All ball link hardware with Nyloc nuts! I'm pretty excited about that.
The wing extensions and SFGs mount with wood screws directly into the wingtips.

I don't know a whole lot about plane design, but I do know this one will go like stink on a 6S 500kV setup. I expect a Jekyll and Hyde counterpart to my EF Laser.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I opted to swap the supplied wing bolts for longer socket cap screws. M3.5 I think.

Are there blind nuts in the wing tips for the SFG's? I hate mounting SFG's with wood screws like on the 57 Extra. I'm really interested in this plane but so far this is the only thread I know of. Nothing at RC Groups.

Are there blind nuts in the wing tips for the SFG's? I hate mounting SFG's with wood screws like on the 57 Extra. I'm really interested in this plane but so far this is the only thread I know of. Nothing at RC Groups.

Here is a pic of the wingtip extensions. I don't foresee any real problems with the wood screws as long as you drop a little CA into the holes in the wings.
I did re-drill the holes in the SFGs, wingtips and spacers to clear the screws.
 ЯК 55 wingtip.JPG

mazjag

50cc
Agreed....I think i`m just gonna leave those off mine...They can`t do much and you got that gap and all...I never run SFGs.....Not really any problems going together as its typical 3DHS..Even without any instructions...The only thing I see is when the cowl is mounted the 4 screws need to go in specific places to go through the sheeting and the ply tabs.. Here is some pics...Notice the size next to a 70" Velox.20141005_064057.jpg20141005_064226.jpg20141005_064258.jpg20141005_064612.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Agreed....I think i`m just gonna leave those off mine...They can`t do much and you got that gap and all...I never run SFGs.....Not really any problems going together as its typical 3DHS..Even without any instructions...The only thing I see is when the cowl is mounted the 4 screws need to go in specific places to go through the sheeting and the ply tabs.. Here is some pics...Notice the size next to a 70" Velox.View attachment 29737View attachment 29738View attachment 29739View attachment 29740

I hate dealing with SFG's as well but they make a world of difference on my 57 Extra and my Aerobeez 71 Extra, I won't fly without them. That's of the reason I like the Slicks, no SFG's.

You could just cut two holes on the bottom of each wing and put some extra wood on the back of the last rib and put a blind nut in that, that is what I have done in the past, and then you just put some covering over it and you cant see it.

mazjag

50cc
20141005_083308.jpgOk, here is how aligned my cowl...Don`t laugh as it worked :D..The clothes pin hold the backing plate back to set the distance from cowl..I used mixing sticks to shim the height up and down.....Get this wrong on a Yak(very noticeable) and every guy at your club will remind you as they walk by.

Last edited by a moderator: