• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 58" Edge 540

SnowDog

I used "custom" standoffs...they are 7/16" in length; I'm pretty sure a 1/2" length would work just fine too...you can find nylon spacers at your local hardware store. This was just what I had on hand.

Im running 1/4 standoffs with 4s 4000 bat and it is pretty tail heavy. To the point it doesnt fly very well. Not to mention land!

Well, another 1/8" of standoffs isn't going to fix that. If you're running the 4315 an 4s, you need to push the battery all the way into the motor box. However, if you do that, you'll probably crack the motor box in your next snap (ask me how I know) or have the battery come loose due to insufficient velcro (ask me again how I know).

The fix is to epoxy a paint stirrer (the wooden kind you get for free at Home Depot or your local paint store) from the firewall back to what's supposed to be the battery area. Put heavy duty velcro on it and use a nice welcro strap. I also put depron foam along the side walls of the motor box to make the battery fit snugly. I haven't had a problem ever since. This puts my CG at around the wing tube with 4000mAh 4s GensAce and Zippy batteries. Balancing on the wing tube is a good starting point for your CG on this plane. If you put it more than a 1/4" behind the tube, it's a handful (as I'm sure you've noticed).

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

how are you guys getting away with 1/4" standoffs? I can't believe the Motrolfly 4315 spinner back plate even clears the cowl with those?

I have my battery all the way against the motor box now or almost since my motor wires keep it from going all the way and I haven't had a problem with the motor box breaking yet nor Velcro problems(not saying it won't happen yet if I keep on with it the same way) but I still have a major tail heavy plane. Ill try what your saying and see how it works...

SnowDog

I was running a 6S setup with the Motrolfly 4315-480 and it was not bad...I was using 2800's (2x3S2800's) because that's what I had...if I did it again I would go with heavier batteries...can't imagine it with 4S batteries...no surprise that you are still tail heavy. The paint stick option is a good one; I ultimately had to add nose weight (about 1.5oz IIRC) to get it balanced, but I did not use the paint stick approach, which would have allowed my batteries to go farther forward.

RotorJockey

70cc twin V2
Started working on mine, today!

Got the wrecked box out, and the new box in.

EdgeBoxOut.jpgEdgeBoxIn.jpg

zmonster97

Here's me flying my 58!

[video=youtube;ncsMCXm-g6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncsMCXm-g6Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: