• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 48" EPP Extra

gyro

GSN Contributor
Picked up a few Extras on Monday!
One in great condition, one as a spare (needs new MB).

What have you guys been using to secure the wings? I just zip tied the hooks together as I don't plan on removing the wings...

-G

Cool, thanks. What power system do you have in yours? Batteries?

I am running the Omega 130g on 3s 2200 packs on a Castle Ice Lite 50. Hitec 65MGs all around, but I am going to swap those out for Savox 0255MGs on the new airframe.

My only complaint with this airframe is that the elevator has some flex to it. I taped it up with clear packing tape and it made a big difference. I also think that I am getting some blow back on the 65MG at the elevator which is why I am swaping over to the Savox. I had a fiberglass control arm extension on the elevator at one point but took that off first thing when I felt the flex in the elevator, I noticed some difference with the stock arm but the tape on the control surface is really what seemed to make the difference.

If you choose to tape yours the best way to get it to stick is to take some of that 3M spray adhesive and apply that first and then apply the tape. The packing tape doesn't stick to EPP very well on its own.

Also, be carefuel when your gluing with regular CA or welders on this airframe. It has Depron sandwiched between the EPP in some places. If you hinge your control surfaces with regular CA it will melt that Depron that is sandwhiched between the EPP sheets.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am running the Omega 130g on 3s 2200 packs on a Castle Ice Lite 50. Hitec 65MGs all around, but I am going to swap those out for Savox 0255MGs on the new airframe.

My only complaint with this airframe is that the elevator has some flex to it. I taped it up with clear packing tape and it made a big difference. I also think that I am getting some blow back on the 65MG at the elevator which is why I am swaping over to the Savox. I had a fiberglass control arm extension on the elevator at one point but took that off first thing when I felt the flex in the elevator, I noticed some difference with the stock arm but the tape on the control surface is really what seemed to make the difference.

If you choose to tape yours the best way to get it to stick is to take some of that 3M spray adhesive and apply that first and then apply the tape. The packing tape doesn't stick to EPP very well on its own.

Also, be carefuel when your gluing with regular CA or welders on this airframe. It has Depron sandwiched between the EPP in some places. If you hinge your control surfaces with regular CA it will melt that Depron that is sandwhiched between the EPP sheets.

Awesome info, thank you. Mine came built already, but the info on the elevator is great. The previous owner has the elevator control horn on the inner hold on the control arm and the servo arm, so hopefully that prevents the blowback.
Mine has a Motrolfly 2815-950 and Castle Ice Lite 50 in it right now, and I got some Glacier 3s2600m packs for it. Hope to get it in the air soon and see what I think.

On those Savox SH-0255, they're great servos, really powerful. Small gears though, so I don't recommend using arm extentions on them, due to the stress on the gears. I've found with a nice radio and endpoints at 150% (dx8) that with the long arms I'm good to go for plenty of travel.

-G

I really think you might be on the heavy side with the 2600 in this airframe, but then again I don't know much about the motrofly you have so maybe it puts our more power than the Omega. I feel like mine is heavy in the hover with the 3s 2200s. You might borrow a 2200 from someone and see if you like that better. The heaviness issue is the only reason I am getting a new one. I had to rebuild the motorbox in my current one and the little bit of extra weight really affected the punch out power.

As far as flight time goes I have my timer set at 5 minutes w timer starting at 25% throttle in the DX8. Below 25% throttle the timer does not run. My batteries typically come down at 30% of charge capacity.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I really think you might be on the heavy side with the 2600 in this airframe, but then again I don't know much about the motrofly you have so maybe it puts our more power than the Omega. I feel like mine is heavy in the hover with the 3s 2200s. You might borrow a 2200 from someone and see if you like that better. The heaviness issue is the only reason I am getting a new one. I had to rebuild the motorbox in my current one and the little bit of extra weight really affected the punch out power.

As far as flight time goes I have my timer set at 5 minutes w timer starting at 25% throttle in the DX8. Below 25% throttle the timer does not run. My batteries typically come down at 30% of charge capacity.

The motrolfly is a few grams lighter than the Omega, and the 2600s I got are 215g, pretty close to many 3s2200 packs in weight to I figured I'd be ok. 5 minutes and 30% sounds perfect for me. At some point, I may setup telemetry.

-G

The motrolfly is a few grams lighter than the Omega, and the 2600s I got are 215g, pretty close to many 3s2200 packs in weight to I figured I'd be ok. 5 minutes and 30% sounds perfect for me. At some point, I may setup telemetry.

-G

Sweet! Let me know what you think about the punch out power on that Motorfly. I am not opposed to jerking out the Omega and putting it in something else if they Motrofly is better.

wedoitall

Sweet! Let me know what you think about the punch out power on that Motorfly. I am not opposed to jerking out the Omega and putting it in something else if they Motrofly is better.

Just my opinion out of the 2 omegas and the 3 motrolflys i have in the same size (130's and 2815) i much prefer the motrolflys. Unless some kinda new tech of motors come out, like a nuke powered motor LOL. It will be hard to get me to switch to a different brand