• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3DHS 48" Edge vs. EF 48" Edge

Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a new balsa ship in the 48" size for the upcomming 2013 flying season. I know that alot of you have probably flown both of these airframes and I know that they are both supposed to be good, but I was wondering which airframe you like better and why. Also, are these two planes in the same class as far as 3D performance goes or is one more docile than the other?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a new balsa ship in the 48" size for the upcomming 2013 flying season. I know that alot of you have probably flown both of these airframes and I know that they are both supposed to be good, but I was wondering which airframe you like better and why. Also, are these two planes in the same class as far as 3D performance goes or is one more docile than the other?

I've answered this question a few times before, and since both airplanes are made by top tier ARF manufacturers, and both airplanes fly awesome (yes, I've had both) I've found that a lot of the decision comes down to two things:

your flying style, and which plane looks better

Flying style: the EF edge is a little tiny bit heavier, and is designed more towards a 4s setup. As such, I think it carries a little bit more energy through its maneuvers. On the flip side, the EF Edge wears SFGs that really help it perform well in flight, so if you don't like SFGs, it's not the plane for you.

Looks: again, they both fly very well! which design looks better to you?

This is like comparing a Lamborghini and a Ferrari... They both do their thing amazingly well, and are very comparable performance wise, so what makes them different? Usually, you'll find the subtleties that don't affect performance are the answer.

3dbandit

100cc
Both planes are awesome.

I feel that the EF is better for more a more high speed and precision flying style while the 3dh is a bit slower and very floaty. Both will perform any maneuver you can imagine, but just a little differently.

Here is a little video of my 3dh edge
[video=youtube;NWBkT1i7WY4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBkT1i7WY4[/video]

hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice flying Bandit! Thanks for the advice guys. Here is another comparison, I have a 3DHS 48" EPP Extra. Either of you flow that one?

I like the Extra, I am going to retire it to my practice plane next season, I definately used and abused it all summer long. It tought me alot and I had a blast! However, I would like something that snaps harder and deeper, I am guessing either of of the balso airframes are going to be alot stiffer and that will probably help. I am guessing from your descriptions that the EF Edge probably snaps deeper than the 3DHS one, but how does the 3DHS/EF Edge comparte to the EPP Extra?

3dbandit

100cc
I have flown the EPP extra, it is very different than a balsa plane. The balsa planes are a lot stiffer and a bit heavier; they snap, roll, pull... better and carry much more energy. They are a bit more difficult to fly because things happen a lot faster, IE: they drop quicker. Overall they fly much more precisely, are more capable, and in my opinion more fun to fly.

As for how deep they snap, it is more about they way you move the sticks and less of an air-frame issue.

Well, I ended up going a completely different direction and went with the Laser EXP. The 3DHS is out of stock for most of the flying season and I decided that I don't like the looks of the long canopy on the EF 540T. I can remember Leo Loudenslouger flying the Laser at Oshkosk when I was a kid, and I like the looks of the turtleneck type canopy so that is the one I ended up going with.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, I ended up going a completely different direction and went with the Laser EXP. The 3DHS is out of stock for most of the flying season and I decided that I don't like the looks of the long canopy on the EF 540T. I can remember Leo Loudenslouger flying the Laser at Oshkosk when I was a kid, and I like the looks of the turtleneck type canopy so that is the one I ended up going with.

Good choice. In the end, many people choose the model that they think looks the best, as the flying characteristics betweent the multiple designs are more similar than different.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
It's funny that these are both edges in the same size from two different manufacturers but they are very different airplanes.

The 3DHS 48 Edge was really designed to be a first wood airplane after you got proficient with foamies. It's inexpensive, durable, and the wire gear bends without breaking or damaging the fuselage. It has a lot of wing area and harriers extremely easily. It's great for learning energy management and generally flying a wood plane and it's specialized for entry level 3D like harriers and hovers.

The EF Edge is much faster, more precise, and more capable. It does great precision, and will take you from simple harriers and hovers to rolling harriers, precision, and high-speed stuff. It takes a bit more attention to fly and it's a bit more money but it's a lot more capable. However, the landing gear won't take quite as much punishment as the 3DHS Edge (but it is very tough for a wood airplane).