• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Couldn't steal a lot of time to work on the Krier this evening but did get what I wanted done accomplished.

70.jpg

All formers are finish sanded and ready for assembly.

71.jpg

Made a master rib jig out of 1/4" birch a dowels. This jig will make every rib in the wings.

72.jpg

With my spindle sander and the jig I can make up to 25 ribs at a time, which is good as there is more than 50 ribs in the wings!!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Making some wing ribs, 42 balsa ones and 14 lite ply ones!!

73.jpg

I started making blanks by cutting 1/8"x4"x36" sheets in half down the length, and then cutting each half into 3rds making 6 blanks per sheet.

74.jpg

I then used a 1/4" Forstner bit to drill the holes for the alignment pins in the blanks. I only stacked 15 ribs at a time to make the jig easier to handle but the jug could make up to 25 at a time.

75.jpg

I cut a majority of the excess off with the band saw and then used the spindle sander to true them up, then a sanding block with some 300 grit paper to finish them off.

76.jpg

I used the scroll saw to cut the front 2 spar notches as they are common to all ribs. I then went back, and in smaller batches, cut the rear spar notches as needed.

77.jpg

Labeling all balsa ribs. Ribs W1,W2,W2Top and W6 are all lite ply while ribs W3, W4 and W5 are all balsa.

78.jpg

Had to do some test fitting ;) getting close to time to break out the glue!