• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Quite a bit got accomplished the last 2 days.

I bought some 1/8" shock cord awhile back to make my bungees out of, but ran across the problem of figuring out how to get the ends to hold together under the stretched load I needed for the Krier's landing gear. So the solution for now is Women's pony tail holders, 4 per side of the thimble hooked on one, stretched around the other and hooked back on the same side. This gave good tension while still leaving enough for stretch for some shock absorption.

590.jpg

They are wrapped around the thimbles just like full scale bungees are wrapped.

591.jpg

I then enlisted the help of my mom, and her sewing skills to make my leather bungee cover bag.

592.jpg

After a couple of tries, we got a good looking leather bag held on with Velcro. Should keep dirt, oil and grime of the bungee's and hopefully make them last longer.

593.jpg

Installed on the gear,

594.jpg

Then I put the wheel's and pants together for the last time. I made a bushing for the wheels out of 7/32" brass tubing, which is a slip fit over the 3/16" wire axel, and reamed the hole in the wheel out to fit the brass tube. Then just assembled everything with Locktite. After the gear was put on the wing, I got the wheel pants set to the right angle and tightened down the mounting screws, which FINISHES the bottom wing!

595.jpg

Next was putting the main radio back in, here is where all of the prep work I did before covering paid off. I put some grease on the elevator push rod because it was squeaking, and re ran the rudder cables. Then I put the 94851 servos in the tray, used Velcro to hold the receiver down and outer pushrod tube to hold the antenna wires. Zip ties hold the servo wires up nice and neat and the hole radio unit is self contained.

596.jpg

8 screws, and re attach all of the control connections and the radio is installed and pre-rigged! With all the prep work I did, this literally only took 15 minutes :)

597.jpg

The fun part of any build, and also a signal you're getting close to being done (well for me at least) creating the radio program and naming the model :D

598.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have enough characters to have Krier Kraft, so just Krier will have to do lol

599.jpg

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
I bolted the engine on for now (even though it needs to come back off) so I can get an Idea of weight and balance..........

FIFTEEN POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D Now I still need to put the muffler, tail brace wires, fuel tank and battery in it but I don't think that will even add up to a pound. Keep in mind Grampa's flew great at 18lbs, and mine is 3lbs lighter.

The best part? It's actually NOSE HEAVY!! I won't be adding any ballast to this bird! :D

600.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
It was so pretty outside this evening I couldn't help it, I had to take it out side for the first time and see it in sunlight. The clear coat on top of the doped fabric looks great, and my paint guy absolutely nailed the color match on the fiberglass.

I still have some practice to do when it comes to dope and fabric work and spraying paint to get anywhere near as good as grampa was, but I'll get there. And I have plenty of chances lined up for my next couple builds. But all in all, I can not be more happy with the finish on this model.

PICS!!

603.jpg

602.jpg

601.jpg

604.jpg

605.jpg

606.jpg

607.jpg

608.jpg

609.jpg

610.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
Finally, I got my dad to do a little posing for me as he played the part of grampa's fellow club member holding the Krier back. For reference sake, here are those pictures.

Grampa's,

46 (2).jpg

Mine,

611.jpg

Grampa's

47 (2).jpg

Mine

612.jpg

Dad just need's the cowboy hat and flannel shirt ;)

And here's my ugly mug with it again.

613.jpg