• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving!!!

Happy-Thanksgiving.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
Man, I swear I've done this before! ;)

With all the Thanksgiving festivities over, I got all the spars and sub leading edge on the top wing this evening before I called it quits for the day.

I think my next step is going to be getting the cabane mount blocks in, so I can adjust the ribs wherever need be to ensure the top wing is square with the bottom.

269.jpg

270.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well tonight I set about making another set of "N" strut fittings and another set of wing tip bows. Then while letting the glue/etching primer cure I started fitting the top wing to the cabanes.

271.jpg

Second set of tip bows

272.jpg

Another set of "N" strut fittings

273.jpg

274.jpg

275.jpg

Hey, it is finally starting to look like a bipe!!!!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well tonight I set about making another set of "N" strut fittings and another set of wing tip bows. Then while letting the glue/etching primer cure I started fitting the top wing to the cabanes.

View attachment 91799

Second set of tip bows

View attachment 91800

Another set of "N" strut fittings

View attachment 91801

View attachment 91802

View attachment 91803

Hey, it is finally starting to look like a bipe!!!!

Way cool. Are your wing tip bows just sheet balsa laminated? Curious how you formed them and what they are made of. I've heard of guys soaking balsa sheet in windex (ammonia) prior to forming.

Whoops found this!
EDIT:
Tip bow was laminated out of 5 layers of 1/2 x 1/16 balsa and glued up with Titebond II. The sub leading edge is 1/8" balsa and installed first so the sheeting will overlap it, after the sheeting is done I'll put a 1/4" balsa cap on and shape the LE.

But no wood conditioning prior to forming?

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Way cool. Are your wing tip bows just sheet balsa laminated? Curious how you formed them and what they are made of. I've heard of guys soaking balsa sheet in windex (ammonia) prior to forming.

Whoops found this!
EDIT:
Tip bow was laminated out of 5 layers of 1/2 x 1/16 balsa and glued up with Titebond II. The sub leading edge is 1/8" balsa and installed first so the sheeting will overlap it, after the sheeting is done I'll put a 1/4" balsa cap on and shape the LE.

But no wood conditioning prior to forming?

Haha, I forgot to put that in there! But yes, I first soaked the 1/16" strips in warm tap water. I really don't like to use Windex, I always have trouble getting the glue to adhere to the wood because of the soap. Ammonia is needed if you are using harder woods like that in full scale (spruce).

I always try to pick a piece of sheet that has a middle of the road grain, not really soft but yet still pretty flexible. Soak in warm water for 20-30 minutes and form it up. The tighter the bend, use softer wood.

The biggest key to laminated bows is to make sure all the laminates are tight against each other while the glue is curing. When done right, they make really strong, REALLY light wingtips.