• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

15cc EF 60" Edge 540T-EXP Gasser

ryan_m

100cc
Back to the glow ideas... while I would never want to go with glow again, I used to fly a bunch of Mojo 60's (from swanyshouse.com) with a Saito 100 on the nose. They were right around the 6-6.5lb mark, flew with a Xoar 15x6 perfectly, and ran about an 8-10oz tank for 10 minute flight times. It was a great combo, and would likely do pretty well on this too. If it wasn't so dang messy!

Love the idea of this gas motor too! Eagerly watching the progress here...

I tried the Xoar 15x5 and it was too much prop. I think I might need to try something like a 14x6. Got a APC 15x4W and 14x4W to try this week. We are getting wonderful weather for this time of year. Flew it today (video forthcoming) and I am getting to know it's quirks a little better. The weight distribution is a problem as all the weight is at the ends, rather than the center with a electric. I never flew a 3D 4 stroke glow plane, but I can see the similarities. Once the motor is fully broke in, the infamous evolution black stuff should stop polluting the airframe. As it gets cooler, this plane should be a go to airplane as the electrics start to not perform well and I can transport this fully assembled in the truck bed. Literally gas and go as the 2600 lipo should easily last an entire flying session.

Video from yesterday. Much better demonstration on what it can do. I will try the SFGs next. There is over a minute flying time before this edit so this was over a 8 minute flight. Still plenty of gas left.

[video=youtube;-THPpcdaYpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-THPpcdaYpc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

philjac94

New to GSN!
Cody suggested getting a Perry pump and it was installed this week and ran today. It seems to have solved the fuel delivery problem. It was still hard to tune and we discovered that the low speed needle was rotating itself out so Patrick put some loctite to try to solve the issue. Ran out of time to fly it after the fix.

I did fly it once before we discovered the issue. It certainly gets going faster than my Laser. I am using a Xoar 15x4 wood prop at the moment. Even with the engine running rich we are getting about a 1.5:1 thrust to weight ratio.

I might get a chance to get out again before heading to the FLI and I will try to get hat cam footage of it.

I am hesitant to comment too much on the flying attributes till I get the engine problems licked. I am still flying without a cowling as the engine has needed constant fiddling.

The Hyde mount is a godsend though. You can see how much vibration is being taken out.

I still need to get the maiden video up.

I had or have trouble with mine also, tried fitting a crank case pulsed Perry pump but was inconsistent and extremely difficult to tune. Ended up taking it back out and will revisit tuning once fully broken in.
Which Perry pump did you install?

VP-40SG is the pump I am using. It solved my issue after some tuning, but this is by no means a easy engine to work with unless you install it just like a glow motor. When I talked to them about my issues, they kept telling me to use the photon torpedo muffler. No thanks. Even with the pump it is a third the weight.

http://www.amazon.com/VP40SG-Pump-Regulator-Gas-Smoke/dp/B0006O047O

I hope to get some good quality video soon with my nice camera. Also want to use the SFGs to see if that helps with pitch authority. Also got a few more props to play with.

philjac94

New to GSN!
VP-40SG is the pump I am using. It solved my issue after some tuning, but this is by no means a easy engine to work with unless you install it just like a glow motor. When I talked to them about my issues, they kept telling me to use the photon torpedo muffler. No thanks. Even with the pump it is a third the weight.

http://www.amazon.com/VP40SG-Pump-Regulator-Gas-Smoke/dp/B0006O047O

I hope to get some good quality video soon with my nice camera. Also want to use the SFGs to see if that helps with pitch authority. Also got a few more props to play with.

Yeah same pump I used, had both needles in, out and every combination in between, it was hopeless. Removed pump and it started and ran pretty good but eventually dies if model is held nose high.
If I richen needle while nose is high it continues running but it becomes way too rich in normal attitude. Needle is very sensitive, so sensitive that when tank is full it requires a different needle setting to when tank is empty. The "happy" tuning range to accommodate both is not wide enough.

Patrick did something one day to modify the needles that helped. I will ask him exactly what he did. He did it to both this and the 10cc.

It does not have a pump/Walbro type carb. It has a glow carb that had been modified for gas. This is how they managed to get the size down. Another brand 9cc motor uses a external pump.

I do see that RCGF has a beam mount 15cc that is newer. I would have to look closely if I can get the rear carb to work with the hyde mount.

Vibration levels, prop size issues, and weight are some of the factors that led me away from using a 20cc class motor in one of these plane. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that Joe and I have both modified planes for 20cc with only marginal results.

Last time out with this model I tested a 14x6 APC prop on it and it did not reach the specs Horizon gave by over a 1000 RPM. I have decided that I have had enough with the engine not making power with the setup I have and I just ordered a O.S. GT15. I will do some pictures once I get it all mounted up and detail whatever mods I have to do. I might start a new thread with the correct motor in the title. The plane is sitting up in my shop so it will be towards the front of my project que.

The Evolution might just plain work better on the stock muffler, but there is no way I am cramming that monster into this airframe the way I have it setup.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDUWC&P=ML

Last edited by a moderator: