• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@AKNick ….

Now that you have yours. I was wondering why are there four or six screws going into each side of the fuse in the cabin area ? o_O

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick ….

Now that you have yours. I was wondering why are there four or six screws going into each side of the fuse in the cabin area ? o_O

61133C75-9812-4303-89CA-CC486DE83B57.jpeg
It’s an access cover. That’s all. The canopy is removable. So this is just a way to set up the interior.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Fitting.... um maybe more like retro fitting the XCub gear. What a pain. Sure, there are holes to put the gear on, but once in place I needed to bend, elongate holes, and grind to fit. Not an easy drop in task like I was hoping. It’s turning into a labor of love. Looks out of place upside down, but on its feet it’s looking pretty nice.
000C4AFA-991A-4C28-9A1F-FF5BB30F6288.jpeg
9983EDE7-FE92-45F3-9F38-F0E72D0F4246.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
So how do you like the kit so far except for the changes you are making. Is it nicely finished and does it look robust.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
So how do you like the kit so far except for the changes you are making. Is it nicely finished and does it look robust.

Robust, yes. Horizon always seems to have more heavy ply than companies like extreme flight. Covering looks great. Minor touch ups on the trim/edges. Belly was a little scuffed up from the factory... but whose looking there anyways. My wing struts are two shades of yellow, once again whose looking. The fit of all the interlocking ply/wood from the factory is give a “B” some gaps here and there, not that flush... but it works. Carbon tubes in the fuselage fit great. I haven’t plugged the wings and tail in yet. The wings feel pretty heavy to me about 1.9lbs each without servos or control horns installed.they used aluminum tubular dowels for the wing rotation pins, looks sloppy, also done for the canopy... don’t like it but it works.
Interior could have more lightening holes in it. Also the rear XCub gear attach points could be beefed up. The overall fit of the XCub gear is poor... but made to work... heavy.
There is no carbon support anywhere. Gear has aluminum and G10 support. Not sure why they didn’t use magnets and latches/hinges for the access panels, although I think there are some thumb grub screw to replace the Allen screws. Happy to see they included nice hardware, painted control horns even and some extras. The leaf spring metal tailwheel is aluminum, which it were carbon. I am worried about the overall weight of the plane when it’s finished. Especially with the XCub gear and PR’s. Horizon seems to always make their planes a bit on the robust/heavy side. This plane is better than the ones I’ve seen but could be lighter for sure.

It’s a good plane, and still fills the void that I need. Overall it’s going to be lots and lots of fun.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Put the rudder on. 30min epoxy using the warmed up petroleum jelly trick on the hinges. Fit very nice. Of course I touched up the holes with an xacto knife and hit the covering with an iron for good measure prior.
Never heard of warming the PJ, but it makes sense and look's much easier to do than cold PJ. Thanks for the tip!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Never heard of warming the PJ, but it makes sense and look's much easier to do than cold PJ. Thanks for the tip!

Works really well!! Pop can helps heat it up quick with 10 sec from a blow or culinary torch. It seeps into the crevasses and kinda lubricates the hinge as well. DOUBLE BONUS!