• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
3 pics are worth 1,000 words :) coil the aluminum strip around the bolt, remove, hold it in your fingers, tighten it so it becomes compressed insert in the 10mm hole in gear (plus in my case the strap), let it uncoil, insert bolt and tighten, helps to leave it slightly proud so it is forced to expand as you tighten the bolts.
IMG20210417203039.jpg IMG20210417202935.jpg IMG20210417202859.jpg

Not doing much the last week, still waiting on servos, a long sad story but some will be here next week. Good news is my Booma R/C order arrived so I thought I'd share some of the nice stuff they sent, minus the most important thing I ordered from them, the ultra switch dual battery backup module, out of stock for three weeks.
Got 10 meters of their new 20 gauge wire which is super supple and very high quality, although Initially I wasn't thrilled with the bespoke AR color scheme, it's growing on me. other stuff is connectors and a pair of their really nice wing harnesses. I was going to solder my own, but these are really nice and the come with nice back plates for mounting the plug to a surface. they feature two locking mechanisms, one to lock the plugs together, and one to lock one end of the pair to the phenolic mounting plate. Not sure, but I may try to engineer a plug in wing system. So I will be busy as soon as servos arrive making leads etc.
IMG20210423134256.jpg IMG20210423134346.jpg IMG20210423134406.jpg

One thing I did last week was to cut the covering on the wing and reinforced the strut attachment with balsa stock and Hysol mixed with chopped fiberglass for strength. I used some more beer can aluminum to cover the holes, I really don't drink much beer, it was the same can I used for the bushings, honest. Anyway not much choice as the nearest roll of yellow covering is 3,000 miles away or more. Also reinforced around the wing tube and the ply cross member in there (in the fuse). more thixotropic glass and epoxy adhesive used. H9 missed a real opportunity when they designed this plane to tie the wing tube to the cross member, it is just about 1/8" away.

IMG20210423134226.jpg IMG20210423140803.jpg IMG20210423140915.jpg

This has become an expensive project, only because I'm restarting my RC career after 20 years, have to buy everything, tools, supplies and not the least a radio. decided on a JR system from a dealer in Singapore as they come recommended and are kinda close. Now I have shopped all over for JR systems from DeeForce in the US to Singapore just to get ideas on what's available and spec. Deeforce seems to have their own specific branch of JR offering a confusing array of similar radios labeled T8 + 4, T14 + 4 etc. while Singapore Hobby offers the JR XG14 which looks identical to the deforce 14+4. anyone know the difference? I can get the XG14 with:
  • RG1131B Receiver with RA01T telemetry antenna module
  • 2F1400 6.4V 14000mAh Li-Fe battery
  • Battery charger
  • Instruction manual
  • Binding plug
all for 600 bucks, sounds good to me. considering it has CNC machined gimbals. advertised as : The new JR XG14 radio uses the XG11’s advanced program and housed in the XG8’s ergonomic body. @Snoopy1, any comments or suggestions?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I think you did well that radio with the aluminum gimbals is going for 1000 dollars over here. You will like the radio, I love mine.
If I may suggest I know they are a little more money but once you have done it and used them you will never go back. Buy JR servos that can be programmed and set up the receiver in XBUS. It takes a little effort the first time but you will be rewarded. My Timber was my first plane completely XBus.

Last edited:
I think you did well that radio with the aluminum gimbals is going for 1000 dollars over here. You will like the radio, I love mine.
If I may suggest I know they are a little more money but once you have done it and used them you will never go back. Buy JR servos that can be programmed and set up the receiver in XBUS. It takes a little effort the first time but you will be rewarded. My Timber was my first plane completely XBus.

OK, great then, thanks, I have already purchased servos maybe next time, I understand the principle of X bus, S bus, EX bus et al, but I don't know how to advantage it's use. In a plane with only 7 servos I don't understand the need, perhaps other than aligning a dual elevator set up. Fighting the re learning curve as it is, :)

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Started uploading my video last night, apparently it takes over 12hrs to upload 1.2Gigs of 2.7k (16min of footage) at my wifi speeds... Should probably figure out how to plug in a Ethernet cable from my router... that's just ridiculous. needless to say it was still uploading the HD version when I got up to head into work. Will publish it tonight or tomorrow morning. LOTS of neat STOL beach play footage with a ton of Slow-Motion. It's super fun to see the tire and gear work, and just how fast the servos are along with seeing the surfaces move. Think there is about 8-10min of footage and the rest is the same footage in slow motion along with some pictures. Drug my feet for a while trying to figure out music... it's just so long... so ended up getting rid of it and just adding my teaser video music to the ending. Stay Tuned!