• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

RC80AK

50cc
Snoop..haven't weighed it. Today was a day of firsts! First model with span greater than to70" or heavier than 8 pounds. First 12s setup (8s max prior). So much fun! Hard to get a final number on flight time, but with touch and go's I was over 10 minutes. I use capacity alarms instead of time.

Only a couple clicks of elevator trim needed. Zero aileron or rudder! Manual was very close to amount of elevator compensation needed. My only gripe is the stock gear. I made a few plunker landings, but nothing I would call 'bad' and they are already bent. I have the sprung xcub gear -- so it is going it. I may try to see if I can make the stock tires fit on them temporarily. I'll probably go with either 6" Dubro or 6" Airtops...still need to figure out what is going to fit on the xcub axles.

Max amps was 73 today. Motor and batts stayed nothing more than warm, and it is 100 degrees here today. Very windy today, so the first flight was sporty -- but then I turned my gyro on and it does it's magic! Very room in the cabin...these are Zippy 6s 6200 Mah.View attachment 115195

Congrats on the maiden flight! I unpacked my Timber today and had a good laugh when the gear came out! They would be anemic for a Timber 60! :eek:

1 sec "Maiden" here!! -Where testing the engine and some other adjustment in quite strong wind and when pointing the nose into the wind and adding some throttle the plane suddenly liftet off... quite undramatic and while pilot struck with fear, it hovered down again quite nicely.

Two issues:
-The servo horn keep been shaken loose. Think I change them out with Gabriel servoarms .. These arms seems to be the only part of the a/c that suffer from vibrations..

-The RCFG56cc motor stops abruptly when I run it for about 25sec straight at full throttle. I ran at variable rpms for almost 20min without any issues uptil then.. (and at this point there where still pleanty fuel left..) -Motor fired up again, happily right afterwards. -Is this due to heat and ground running.. or should I be more concerned? The motor is relatively new, only run it though 1liter of fuel so far.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
1 sec "Maiden" here!! -Where testing the engine and some other adjustment in quite strong wind and when pointing the nose into the wind and adding some throttle the plane suddenly liftet off... quite undramatic and while pilot struck with fear, it hovered down again quite nicely.

Two issues:
-The servo horn keep been shaken loose. Think I change them out with Gabriel servoarms .. These arms seems to be the only part of the a/c that suffer from vibrations..

-The RCFG56cc motor stops abruptly when I run it for about 25sec straight at full throttle. I ran at variable rpms for almost 20min without any issues uptil then.. (and at this point there where still pleanty fuel left..) -Motor fired up again, happily right afterwards. -Is this due to heat and ground running.. or should I be more concerned? The motor is relatively new, only run it though 1liter of fuel so far.

Nice maiden!! One take off and landing complete!!

You are probably overheating on the ground. You should tune it and fly to break it in properly. Only the little gas engines (20cc<)and nitro engines need a ground break in. Usually it would be hard to start if it got too hot and leaned out on you. You should never run a gas engine one the ground for more than 10 min without a 20min cool down before restarting. You will chase your needles doing this and also risk damaging the engine. I don't remember seeing a pic of how your cowling is cut for an inlet and air outlet. Rear carbs can get quite hot without airflow and can essentially vapor lock. I'd get it running reliably and taker her up in the pattern for a while.

Nice maiden!! One take off and landing complete!!

You are probably overheating on the ground. You should tune it and fly to break it in properly. Only the little gas engines (20cc<)and nitro engines need a ground break in. Usually it would be hard to start if it got too hot and leaned out on you. You should never run a gas engine one the ground for more than 10 min without a 20min cool down before restarting. You will chase your needles doing this and also risk damaging the engine. I don't remember seeing a pic of how your cowling is cut for an inlet and air outlet. Rear carbs can get quite hot without airflow and can essentially vapor lock. I'd get it running reliably and taker her up in the pattern for a while.

indeed; As long as takeoff = landings everything is ok!!

Regards ground running.. aiii, that’s well noted! Will not run it that long on the ground again. It does run very well up til this point, so nI problem to take your word here.
The motor and Pitts pipe get plenty of cooling as I had to cut quite a lot to get room for them all.. but the carb is in the rear and should not get to much clean air, that’s true.

better get it in the air ASAP!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
In case anyone is on the fence to buy this plane. It's on sale at horizon hobby ($105 OFF!!!) wicked awesome deal.

ChelseaDan

New to GSN!
In case anyone is on the fence to buy this plane. It's on sale at horizon hobby ($105 OFF!!!) wicked awesome deal.
I was ready to buy before I saw the sale price. Then I saw the sale. Planned to order on Sunday so it doesn't beat me home and get left on the porch. I'm probably overthinking this, but is Horizon trying to sell out their stock in anticipation of a newer version - one that fixes the issue found in the current version? Just wondering.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I was ready to buy before I saw the sale price. Then I saw the sale. Planned to order on Sunday so it doesn't beat me home and get left on the porch. I'm probably overthinking this, but is Horizon trying to sell out their stock in anticipation of a newer version - one that fixes the issue found in the current version? Just wondering.

I doubt they'll make a V2 that would be against some horizon hobby virtue :roflmao:
It sound's like QC is improving based on what I've been hearing. I think it's still important to beef up the cabin area that keeps the wings on with some tri-stock and replacing the blind nuts/contraptions with a better quality T-Nuts along with some tristock holding that strut mount in place. It's a wonderful flying airframe. Post your build here and welcome to the forum!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick do run any aileron differential on your ailerons. If you do how much. After having a number of flights on mine and getting to know a plane a little starting do some fine tuning. At present playing with rudder/aileron/elevator mix. One that I have noticed is that I feel that the factory CG is a little nose heavy. The next couple of flights I am going to move a little weight backwards to see how it feels and lands.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick do run any aileron differential on your ailerons. If you do how much. After having a number of flights on mine and getting to know a plane a little starting do some fine tuning. At present playing with rudder/aileron/elevator mix. One that I have noticed is that I feel that the factory CG is a little nose heavy. The next couple of flights I am going to move a little weight backwards to see how it feels and lands.

I cannot remember if I did or not. I'll have to check after work.