• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

pawnshopmike

Staff member
VIDEO! :fist_pump: Enjoy!:epic:

This is about 30min of video compressed into 5min. Got a couple flights in before the tide was going to leave me stranded, so I packed it up and headed home. The wind was calm in the video, and was a beautiful day on Oct 13th. GoPro Session camera doesn't give this nine foot wingspan any justice, and the huge tidal flats sure doesn't help! Can't wait to get out there again! Plane has seen at least 15 flights now.

Good times! :big_yes:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
VIDEO! :fist_pump: Enjoy!:epic:

This is about 30min of video compressed into 5min. Got a couple flights in before the tide was going to leave me stranded, so I packed it up and headed home. The wind was calm in the video, and was a beautiful day on Oct 13th. GoPro Session camera doesn't give this nine foot wingspan any justice, and the huge tidal flats sure doesn't help! Can't wait to get out there again! Plane has seen at least 15 flights now.

Some nice flying the plane does look good in the air. The landing gear sure does the job and looks like it works well. Motor seems to be more than capable for the plane and quite easily hangs on the prop. From the video it does not seem that the wing flexes with the struts removed.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Some nice flying the plane does look good in the air. The landing gear sure does the job and looks like it works well. Motor seems to be more than capable for the plane and quite easily hangs on the prop. From the video it does not seem that the wing flexes with the struts removed.

The wings themselves are very rigid. It’s the cabin structure supporting those huge wings what worries me.

Thanks guys!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Rudder is all in and setup pretty straight forward. Did decide to cross the wires and do an off set rudder arm looks good and the wires stay tight through the full travel.

19C32F7B-B8D9-4C3D-8458-DF2CF20837B5.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick how much have cut out the bottom to cool the engine. Or did you do something different a picture would be nice. Thanks. It’s my first time electric motor installed and it causing me to over think everything, so that part is going to go slow.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Logged a couple more flights on the timber this afternoon.
6985ACA3-0D21-4C1E-AAB4-357C713EC9D6.jpeg

Flew inverted and one of my wing MPX connectors popped loose. Not crazy flying either. This is the second time, so I’ll need to take it out of the hard mount or figure something else out. Noticed it when I was coming in for a landing and the left flap didn’t come down, luckily I figured it out quickly and landed without any issues.
BD9FEC4B-C885-4C89-A9B3-68FEA01BD741.jpeg

I’ve been noticing there is a lot of flex in the empennage in front of the stabs, the covering wrinkles a bit when you press down on the elevator. I did some slow full span rolls (no wing struts) landed and saw this.

1A88AAE9-5C0E-4354-8DC8-3FB128A6AE1B.jpeg

880F1819-7504-4425-9E2C-2CB5D4A2CEDA.jpeg

548D742E-6E33-4A22-B553-4E72C0774828.jpeg

I’ll have to investigate, and attempt to beef this area up a bit. Might be an interesting repair....

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick how much have cut out the bottom to cool the engine. Or did you do something different a picture would be nice. Thanks. It’s my first time electric motor installed and it causing me to over think everything, so that part is going to go slow.

Look at page 16, post #156. The engine and the muffler are towards the rear, so it's not much more beyond that due to the nature of the installation for muffler clearance. There may even be vents in the tunnel that I blocked the entrance off to?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
MPX connectors have given me some grief but I thought it was me but, but what I have learnt I cannot prove it but when they are not bolted down to the fuselage they work great, and never come apart.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow @AKNick that tail does not look good. Something is going on in there, something is broken and needs to be fixed. Must say that does not say much for the design. It is falling apart. Keep us informed depending what you find it looks like I maybe pulling mine apart to fix what ever you find.