• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I just take the wing to the autobody supply house and let them match the actual parts. I pretty sure latex goes on heavier than automotive paint so I don't think bleed through will be a problem. Make sure you let the primer flash off for a least seven days before putting the latex on, don't ask me how I know this, I thought 5 days was long enough. I might even let the primer dry for two weeks if I use latex again. The fine line tape pulled the base color off down to the primer while the remaining masking tape did not. I had the whole fuselage covered with tape. I had previously painted the wings without issue however there was a longer time between primer and color.
I used Rustoleum gloss latex, thinned about 25% with windshield washer fluid with Flood Floetrol added. A photo of wings after buffing.

View attachment 116889 View attachment 116890
Thank you for help. The info is helpful I did not know that I had to leave it that long to dry out enough. Thanks.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The covering is done, now on to a part that I do not really like doing and that is gluing hinges in. Will first do a cleanup and then do an assembly and see how it looks and see if I need to add something.
A69CA2C4-C0D9-4D2B-B688-A65ADB814678.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well did some weight checks today. The plane weighed 14 lbs 2oz. Everything else to make it fly 10 lbs 4 oz. that gets me to 24 lbs 6oz. I am happy with that it is Scale plane and not built for 3D, but I must say I did try to keep it as light as possible. That puts it at a WQL of 10 which is good for a scale plane.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Big milestone for me all the hinges are done. Had no problems this time around all went well just have to let it sit for awhile. Cleanup the hinges and remove the tape and then on to the next job. All the hinges were installed with Gorilla glue.

86D2C916-1DBC-4F1F-A7DC-3B304CF0BE63.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok about the weight of the plane at the start I did some number crunching and the plane weight was pretty close but the hardware was by over half a pound which it should not be all the stuff is pretty straightforward. After doing some checking I found my discrepancy MKS servos each servo is 1.2 oz heavier than my standard JR servos. Seven servos at 1.2 oz is my error. That’s ok at least I know where the extra weight came from.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok I did a bunch of testing over years. I did this testing when I built my first styrofoam wing and after a bunch of distractive tests I came to this conclusion. This is only concerning Robart hinges. If glueing the hinges into balsa I use epoxy, but if I am gluing the hinges into styrofoam I use Gorilla glue.