• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Product www.solidhobby.com review- Winner of their Power Supply Donation in the Dec. drawing

Hi guys, I was lucky enough to win the 2nd place drawing in December for one of Solidhobby.com's Power Supply. I just wanted to thank Solidhobby and 3DRC by telling you a little about this nice powersupply.

Solidhobby is a realtively new site sponser who is selling 12v and 12/24v DC output power supplies. The owner Jeremy Olson uses HP Server Power Supplies that he mods into the perfect match for high output Lipo/LIFE chargers. He sellls both 12v and dual voltage 12/24v units. The 12/24v is what I won and is the perfect PS to finally let me fully utilize the full output of my i-Charger 208b. If you are familiar with high output, 10-40A chargers, you need more than 12v in order to get the max. wattage/amps out of it. Most require around 18v, so the 24v PS is a great match, and I encourage everyone to check these PS out. They are a great bargin and value that should serve you for a long time. The specifications are:

DC Output:
47A
12V/24V
575 Watts/1150 Watts

To get 24v DC output safely, two 12v PS's are used in series by using a jumper from the the 1st PS 12v + to the 2nd PS 12v - outputs. The DC circuit has been properly isolated from ground so that the two power supply units can be connected in series while maintaining the AC ground connection in each PS cord. This is safer than removing one of the AC powercord ground plugs and the two PS's do not need to be isolated from each other. You have the capability of using both of the PS individually like normal, or by using the jumper you can have both 12v and a 24v DC outputs. 4mm female bullets are already soldered in and covered with shrinkwrap, a very neat job, and ready to accept your charger input connections. Both PS's have their own cooling fans built in that are temperature regulated meaning that they are very quiet and run slowly until the output is increased. They automatically adjust as needed. Solidhobby also added fan grills to keep you from accidentally sticking your finger or other object into the fan while running. A heavy duty dual powered y-cord is included and has a built in switch which mounts to the top of the PS with heayy duty velcro. This keeps it in a handy location for both home and field use. Also included are rubber foot pads to keep the PS from scratching a table surface and aids in vibration and movement. Overall, I couldn't be happier with with the 12/24v power supply and look forward to using it, and putting it through it's paces during the 2013 flying season.

Thanks again to 3DRC for the great website, and Solidhobby.com for their continued sponsership.
Dale Gregory

Attachments

• Power24+ Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    Power24+ Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 958
  • Power24 EC5 up close.jpg
    Power24 EC5 up close.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 438
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the review Dale, I am glad you liked it! Congratulations again on winning, that's really cool. I won a six foot stuffed bunny rabbit from McDonald's once as a kid, but that is the only time I have ever won anything, it's a great feeling ;) Of course, I beat that thing up by jumping off the top bunk of my bed and landing on it. Eventually all the stuffing came out...I think my power supply should be able to take a beating, maybe not jumping up and down on it though :)

Last edited by a moderator: