• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rolling circle

gyro

GSN Contributor
I cant remember where i got this one from i use by blog over on rcg to store all the best info i source.

We'd love to have it here too! Our goal is for our 3dpedia to be THE source for info like this, one place where every maneuver is described in detail!

I am also one of those that started on the sim with the speed reduced and gradually increased it once I got better. Then went to the crack yak for actual practice then to a bigger foamy like a telink. Rolling circles on my 50CC is a lot sweeter then on my smaller 48 inch birds since 50CC things happen slower.

The fun begins is when you start rolling the next direction you tend to forget how to roll back the initial way you learned. With practice now I can switch it in flight.

My rollers start around 54 seconds in. Video courtesy of BigMoeBBQ

[video=youtube_share;Phr1XWVGeNA]http://youtu.be/Phr1XWVGeNA?t=54s[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

I am also one of those that started on the sim with the speed reduced and gradually increased it once I got better. Then went to the crack yak for actual practice then to a bigger foamy like a telink. Rolling circles on my 50CC is a lot sweeter then on my smaller 48 inch birds since 50CC things happen slower.

The fun begins is when you start rolling the next direction you tend to forget how to roll back the initial way you learned. With practice now I can switch it in flight.

My rollers start around 54 seconds in. Video courtesy of BigMoeBBQ

[video=youtube_share;Phr1XWVGeNA]http://youtu.be/Phr1XWVGeNA?t=54s[/video]

nice rollers!!!! on my TH i can do a straight rolling harrier only circles, but on my 48" planes i can roll straight and rifle roll straight. figured it would be easier to go straight on my TH plane. but i do need a new TH plane mine is beat to death.

njswede

150cc
Dude, I don't get it! You just started flying 3D a few months ago and you're already doing rollers? I'm struggling to even get a couple of them right. Life really isn't fair!

wedoitall

ha, Pontus, if you only knew how much time ive practiced those. I don't have them nailed down yet buts that's ALL ive been doing. on planes and the sim. I also took some advice Joe Smith gave me, ill sit around the house with Tx and practice the stick movements. ill still throw in some other stuff, hovers, harriers and whatnot just so I don't get rusty on everything else but ive just practiced rollers in the past month and a half or so. ive just got the throttle pump down. but like I said they still aint pretty. well actually on my TH foamy I can do a mean rolling harrier circle but cant to a straight line rolling harrier on it.

my goal is to have them nailed by the FLI or bowling green. so I can blend in with all the kewl kids :D

I guess I have to admit it, im pretty much obsessed with planes and 3d flying. its pretty much all I do. that's not bad is it? I could be doing a lot worse things.

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Obsessed? You thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink??????? :) We may have to sign you up for the contest here in NJ of you continue like this!

dskuro95

100cc
My dad tells me I am obsessed. I believe it too. If it is s#!T weathe outside I am on the sim or on the forums. If it nice ut I am either backpacking or flying!

wedoitall

Obsessed? You thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink??????? :) We may have to sign you up for the contest here in NJ of you continue like this!

Ha yea i aint got nothing on any of those guys would be fun though still a long way from where i wanna be im pretty much a one trick pony

Thanks Man !! Hours on realflight doing nothing but practicing the rolling circles. On the sim I can transition from rolling circles to straight rolling circles down the deck. I Haven't quite nailed it yet on my crack yak. I need to go a few mistakes high and try it.

3DNinja

30cc
I'm trying to figure out how to do rolling circles. My problem is this: Once I get the rhythm locked in, my elevator and rudder movements seem to accelerate the roll and even if I reduce my aileron input to almost nothing, the roll often accelerates out of control before I can complete the circle.

What's going on here? Is the solution as simple as lower rates/more expo or is there something else at play here?

Its been awhile since you asked this question, and if you have figured it out by now this is just for the good of the group.
If you are rolling to the inside of your horizontal circle, if your leading your rudder input too early this will speed the roll up. A quick cure for this while learning the rolling harrier is roll to the outside of the circle. This way you can lead your rudder in and keep a smooth circle going and your roll rate wont speed up. Also, ensure that your AOA is high enough to keep it off the wing. This will help the airplane to keep slow enough that your rolling off of torque and propwash.