• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Laser Cutting

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Anyone use a Laser to cut carbon or G10 plate stock? I know about the chlorine gas concerns but at work they tell me our machine filtration system is okay for that but I am wondering about the quality of the cut on the edges?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The problem with G10 is that it is glass and resin so it burns and metls badly. I have a 120 watt laser with a 1200cfm vent blower and the smoke was crazy when I tried it and the finished product was a mess. I tried various ratios of power, speed and laser frequency with no luck. Now as an example, my 120 watt laser has enough power to cut through 3/4" solid wood with a vortex tip......messy but it does it. I was not able to get a clean finished through cut on G10.

An industrial metal cutting pulse laser may do well, but the smoke will be bad and some potential fire hazard I'm guessing. I tried a very thin strip of carbon with worse results, but did not try long with the gasses produced.

I found the best quickes results were on the cnc router with a roughing end cutting end mill. I cut mine with a 1/16" end mill with good results on 1/16" stock at a fair feedrate.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Thanks Terry. I used to run a model lab with access to 60" x 60" 5-axis marching but now working in the golf industry I'm working with different set of tools at my disposal. I sure am missing the toys

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Yeah what Terry said is very true. With the G10 you get a lot of burn on the parts because of the epoxy. If you do use the laser you generally have to sand edges down and do a lot of clean up. I generally figure by the time I am done cleaning up the laser mess I can have it done on the router and it will look much better.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Router is a good idea for cutting G10 in a garage. I use a band saw or scroll saw, not fun.

Vital-Rc

50cc
If you keep experimenting you can get some decent results , the wj71 throttle arm I designed is actually cut out on a laser . The edges have burn marks but it still produced usable results .

If you're looking for near perfect results for carbon and g10 the Cnc router is the best method, at least it is on my Cnc . :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 298