• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion How I prep for smoke!

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I know it is difficult but can you try to stuff some copper pipe into the inside of the muffler. Many years back when we flew OS 61 we would make a small coil and stick it into the muffler it helped but on those small engine it was a waste effort and just had clean of that much more oil of the plane.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I know it is difficult but can you try to stuff some copper pipe into the inside of the muffler. Many years back when we flew OS 61 we would make a small coil and stick it into the muffler it helped but on those small engine it was a waste effort and just had clean of that much more oil of the plane.
I actually did that on a silencer I made for the big Pitts. It turned out real well but that was a big can and I would not want to have to go that route every time. Just finding someone willing to weld it together was a pain, and it was way heavier than wanted. This way is easier, cheaper, and works very well.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Must say you have peaked my interest again in smoke. Played with it a little a while back but the oil on the plane was just to much for me and it did ruin the covering and the seams started to open up so when I recovered it the smoke was removed. But with the nozzle and the fancy controls on volume it looks promising. Like you said your plane is dry. The pump I was using was on or off and we would pinch the line to try to control the flow, not very good. Have you found that the different smoke oils some burn cleaner than others.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Have you found that the different smoke oils some burn cleaner than others.
They all burn the same to me with exception to Chief Aircrafts RedOil, it has a little better plume but has a thinner viscosity and requires adjusting the pump accordingly. The RedOil is $60 for 3 liters so I buy the cheapest of which is Aeroshell at $17 a gallon by way of a five gallon pail. I do run the RedOil but only in the Eagle and only at events, just to expensive for everyday smoking. Of course I do have an advantage to you being all of these oils are available locally.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
They all burn the same to me with exception to Chief Aircrafts RedOil, it has a little better plume but has a thinner viscosity and requires adjusting the pump accordingly. The RedOil is $60 for 3 liters so I buy the cheapest of which is Aeroshell at $17 a gallon by way of a five gallon pail. I do run the RedOil but only in the Eagle and only at events, just to expensive for everyday smoking. Of course I do have an advantage to you being all of these oils are available locally.
Wow that red oil is expensive that translates to $80 a gallon. Yes that is very expensive so on 120cc plane how big of a tank do you use and how long does it last.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow that red oil is expensive that translates to $80 a gallon. Yes that is very expensive so on 120cc plane how big of a tank do you use and how long does it last.
I use a 34oz tank and it last around 6-8 minutes, but that is a guess as I have never actually timed it..

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow 34 oz is 1 litre, all 3 litres gone in 3 flights yes I would only use it on special events. That is about 4 oz a minute that more oil than I would have guessed, thanks for that.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow 34 oz is 1 litre, all 3 litres gone in 3 flights yes I would only use it on special events. That is about 4 oz a minute that more oil than I would have guessed, thanks for that.
Like I said, I have not timed it. Maybe next time I get my smoke on I'll time it, if I can remember to.